Carolina Bluegrass Band prepares for concert steeped in N.C. tradition

Bluegrass Band
The Carolina Bluegrass Band will perform their fall concert. Photo courtesy of Liz Short.

Since its founding in the fall of 2016, the Carolina Bluegrass Band has pushed itself to expose the UNC community to the music genre.

In preparing for their upcoming concert this week, director Russell Johnson and student band members Jon Beyle and Liz Short reflect on the band’s progress.

Johnson explained that the ensemble was formed as a part of the bluegrass initiative in the UNC Department of Music in fall 2016. The 17-member band meets once a week as part of the 1-credit hour course to practice.

“At the beginning of the semester, they all have proficiency, but to see how far they come by the end of the semester and just to see them grow in the music, that’s very gratifying,” Johnson said.

Fiddler and vocalist Liz Short also felt that the band had grown significantly as a group, too. She said that the members of the group change each semester, so much of the beginning of the semester is spent by the members of the band adjusting to the group’s performance tendencies.

Short also acknowledges that the bluegrass genre is a traditional component of the state, and she is grateful that UNC has embraced the music genre’s rich history and culture.

“We’re a progressive campus, but it’s neat that we have the opportunity to look back on things from the past,” Short said.

Short had previous experience performing bluegrass pieces, but she said that her high school performances had to be mainly individual performances. She appreciates that UNC allows her to perform the music she loves with her peers.

“It’s really cool to experience this type of music with my age group and my friends because I feel like it is so unique, and it’s not something you are going to find everywhere,” she said.

Jon Beyle, guitarist, banjo player and vocalist for the Carolina Bluegrass Band, also embraced his peer experiences while playing and singing. As a Chapel Hill native, he also noted how the band has affected the UNC community over time.

“I think it really helps bring Chapel Hill back to its roots,” Beyle said. “I’ve grown up in Chapel Hill all of my life, and especially in the past couple of years, Chapel Hill has really grown.”

Beyle continued to explain how he feels that bringing bluegrass music to UNC grounds the area in its historical context.

“There are high rises going up in town, and town is just blowing up, so I think I still see Chapel Hill as a small town, but it is starting to become an outlier compared to the rest of North Carolina,” Beyle said. "So, I think this can really just bring it back to its roots.”

The performance will be held on Thursday, Nov. 30 at 7:30 p.m. in Moeser Auditorium. 

@JessHardison31