Biology Chair Larry Gilbert dies, leaving legacy of focus and success

gilbert- larry 2008-cropped[1].png

It’s no secret that UNC’s Department of Biology is highly renowned, and that biology is one of the University’s most common majors. Much of the biology department’s current status is owed to one man: former professor and department chair Larry Gilbert, who passed away Monday.

“If there was one person to point to that made biology the powerhouse it is now, he’s the one who did that,” professor Kerry S. Bloom said.

Bloom was Gilbert’s first hire in his position as chair of the biology department. He served as a mentor for many professors that came through the University, some of who have gone on to win the most prestigious prizes in the world of science. Gilbert was brought in from Northwestern University to oversee the merging of the school’s botany and zoology departments. 

“He was recruited to come and make that happen. He was an inspirational leader; he was visionary,” said Victoria L. Bautch, chair of the department. “He was able to look ahead and think about what kind of faculty to hire that would grow the reputation of the department and grow the research profile of the department and bring in good teachers for the students as well.”

In 1995, Gilbert’s accomplishments as a mentor were honored with the American Association for the Advancement of Science Mentor Award for Lifetime Achievement. 

“He made a very sort of open environment, conducive for collaboration, honesty, all that kind of stuff,” Bloom said. 

Gilbert didn’t just do administrative work for the University. While at UNC, Gilbert also conducted research on the effect of hormones in developmental processes.

“He was a great department chair, he was a great administrator, he was a great scientist, he was a strong benefactor of our department since his retirement,” professor Mark Peifer said. “I’m going to miss him, he was a great guy.”        

Bloom, Bautch and Peifer all vividly remembered Gilbert’s office while chair of the department. A long narrow room, Gilbert would sit in front of a window, the room’s only source of light. Those coming in to speak to him remembered the dramatic effect.

“You could hardly see him right? But you would hear this disembodied voice. He smoked cigars so there would be this big cloud of smoke,” Bautch said. “So it sort of felt like the Wizard of Oz going to talk to him.” 

Gilbert was remembered by Bautch, Bloom and Piefer as tough and no-nonsense, someone who placed science and the University first.

“He didn’t care what you worked on, but he cared that you did it with excellence,” Bloom said.