Editorial: Go check out a makerspace!

Makerspaces are creative areas where people can utilize a plethora of tools and knowledge to design and build whatever they want. 

UNC’s makerspaces are incredible resources that are underutilized by the campus community. 

Unbeknownst to many students, UNC is home to four makerspaces spread throughout campus, located at Hanes Art Center, Murray Hall, Venable Hall and Carmichael Hall. 

Unlike standard wood or metalworking shops, UNC’s makerspaces additionally feature a variety of technology from 3D printers to T-shirt presses.

The makerspaces afford everyone an opportunity to build a tangible object. Whether you are an artist, entrepreneur or someone who cannot even put together an IKEA set, the makerspaces can help anyone construct their ideas.

Makerspace resources are free for students, faculty and staff. After a mandatory general orientation, additional training sessions can be completed to gradually unlock access to all makerspace tools.

If you enjoy building and tinkering, the makerspaces can be a welcoming and collaborative community. Between the makerspace staff and regulars, you are likely to find someone willing to share their experience and lend a helping hand on whatever project you are working on.

For faculty, the makerspaces are a unique opportunity to incorporate design and construction of a tangible object into curriculum. 

For example, imagine an entrepreneurship class where students actually build their product for sale. BeAM@Carolina, the organization behind UNC’s makerspaces, offers support in integrating making into classroom assignments. 

We encourage everyone on campus, especially students approaching graduation, to consider tapping into their inner creator and exploring a makerspace soon.