Editorial: Better safe than sorry

Opportunistic crime strikes more often than one might imagine in housing surrounding campus. Often, perpetrators will lurk by houses, looking for a door that just pushes open or a window that is slightly cracked. 

It doesn’t seem to matter if people are home or if lights are on. And while you can take precautions, unfortunately, some situations are impossible to avoid. If you’re considering living off-campus next year or are off-campus now, some important steps can be taken to ensure that your belongings are secure. 

Besides just simply locking your doors and windows, speak to an insurance company about possibly being covered with renter’s insurance. One example is USA Today College’s partnership with GradGuard that offers UNC students affordable renter’s insurance with no credit score needed. Likewise, some insurance companies extend their plans to their beneficiaries’ children for a cheap cost.

It would be wise to read over the lease of your house or apartment prior to signing so that you’re aware if it includes landlord insurance. Additionally, it’s worthwhile to speak to your landlord about installing additional security, such as digital locks or an alarm system. It might even fall within your rights as a tenant.  

Lastly, one of the best ways to get to know your neighbors is to talk to them about safety in the area or simply getting to know them. If you’re leaving town or feel unsafe, having a good relationship with your neighbor can come in handy. This can give you peace of mind about the people you live near and also create a better community dynamic all around.

At the end of the day, no one enjoys feeling like their privacy has been invaded — especially in the sanctity of their home. Investing in some of these necessary precautions can save you emotional and financial labor in the long-run.