Preview: UNC football plays Western Carolina in final home game this Saturday

Corrales TD

Wide receiver Beau Corrales (88) elevates for a touchdown against Miami on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2018 in Kenan Stadium.

The North Carolina football team is coming off one its best games of the season: a 34-31 win over Pittsburgh last Thursday.

In the team's final home game and senior day, it will face Western Carolina at 3 p.m. on Saturday.

While the Catamounts (7-4, 5-3 SoCon) are an FCS opponent, they aren’t simply a push over. They are a team with several weapons that could give the Tar Heels (2-8, 1-6 ACC) a little trouble.

The first thing that jumps off the page with WCU is its running back, Detrez Newsome. The senior was an AP First Team All-American in 2016 and has rushed for 37 touchdowns in his time with the Catamounts. He comes into this game just seven yards shy of his third consecutive 1,000 yard season. He’s also done it in only eight games this season.

Newsome is extremely important to WCU’s success, as his three worst performances this year have all resulted in losses. Last week, Mercer allowed Newsome just 60 yards on the ground. Western Carolina lost that game, 35-33, despite their quarterback, Tyrie Adams, having one his best games of the season.

UNC will need to trust its secondary this week and focus in on Newsome. The Tar Heels are giving up 211 rushing yards per game this year, which ranks 113th in the FBS.

Adams is a serviceable passer of the ball, having thrown for 2,225 yards and 21 scores this season. But his best asset might be his speed and ability to tuck and run, as he’s also rushed for 697 yards on the year.

On the defensive side of the ball, Western’s biggest weakness is the rushing attack. The Catamounts are giving up 213 yards rushing themselves. Expect running backs Jordon Brown (529 yards, three touchdowns) and Michael Carter (427 yards, seven touchdowns) to get plenty of touches this Saturday.

Brown looked solid against Pittsburgh last week, amassing 75 yards on 15 carries. He also clinched the 34-31 victory, however, as he earned three massive first downs on the drive that ended the game.

If North Carolina is able to establish the run game, it will make it a lot easier for Nathan Elliott, who is expected to make his second career start. Elliott looked impressive against Pittsburgh, throwing for 235 yards, two touchdowns and no picks. That last statistic is most important one, as well.

His three interceptions against Miami made it extremely difficult for UNC to hold on. Although North Carolina is the likely winner of this game, don’t be surprised if the Catamounts hold on for a quarter or so. This is their last game of the regular season, and the in-state win would mean a lot for WCU as a program.

If a Sept. 16 beatdown of Old Dominion is any indication, though, the Tar Heels shouldn't have too many problems on Saturday.

@YonaDagalosi