UNC glee clubs host scholarship benefit concert

Glee
The UNC Men's and Women's Glee Clubs are hosting a scholarship benefit concert. Photo courtesy Dan Huff.

Correction: An earlier version of this story mistakenly identified Michael Laporte as Alex Payne. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error. 

The UNC Men’s Glee Club and UNC Women’s Glee Club, under the direction of Daniel Huff and Sue Klausmeyer respectively, will be performing their Scholarship Benefit Concert at the James and Susan Moeser Auditorium Sunday 3 p.m. Proceeds from ticket sales will go toward scholarships for students in the music department.

Michael Laporte, a member of the Men's Glee Club, said the club is an eclectic group of UNC students and community members.

“(We) may seem to have no business singing classical music, yet do, and come together twice a week to make magic happen,” Laporte said.

Jeremiah Hartsock, bass section leader of the Men's Glee Club, learned about the ensemble in a roundabout way.

“I got involved in glee club because I ran into someone on the P2P as a first year,” Hartsock said. “We started chatting, he found out I liked to sing, and he told me where to go. I joined in the fifth week of my first semester, and we performed some of my favorite songs that semester, too.”

He said glee club allows for many non-music majors to practice what they love to do.

“Many of the members of the glee clubs aren't affiliated with the music program, but love what they do, so it's been a treat to watch members grow as singers when they come in from high school," Hartsock said. "We also get to wear tuxes, so it might be fun to see your friends dressed up all nice.”

Katie Way, the president of the Women’s Glee Club, spoke of the difficulties encountered with some of the pieces being performed. 

“'How Do I Love Thee' is a jazzy piece that really focuses on unique syncopation and scatting while 'Regnum Mundi' is a Latin piece that focuses on our ability to blend and artistically shape our phrases,” she said.

The event costs $5 for UNC students and staff and $10 for non-students. Tickets can be purchased at the door.

@isabellyperry