Kenny Williams having monster game against Stanford

Kenny three
Guard Kenny Williams (24) celebrates a 3-pointer against Northern Iowa on Friday in the Smith Center.

Kenny Williams just had a first half for the ages as UNC leads Stanford 50-36 at halftime. 

Williams had 20 of the Tar Heels’ 26 points in the first 9:03 of the game. The junior nailed six of his eight three point attempts, including a streak of four straight made threes and a layup. He quieted down after that, finishing the half with those 20 points.

Williams’ performance is reminiscent of his shooting performance against Radford a season ago in which he hit five three pointers on his way to 19 points in the game —  his previous career high. 

As Twitter user @KeepingItHeel pointed out, Williams' shooting helps take the sting out of the injury to Cameron Johnson, who is out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury. Johnson, a graduate transfer who shot 41.5% from three point range for Pittsburgh a season ago, was expected to be a deep threat for the Tar Heels. 

Williams has started all three games for UNC this year after missing the second half of last season with a knee injury. He has scored double digit points in each game.

Joel Berry also appears to be returning to form after a 1-11 shooting performance against Bucknell in his first game of the season. Berry scored 18 points on 7-12 shooting in the first half. He missed UNC's season opener while recovering from a broken right hand. 

Tune in on ESPN as the Tar Heels and Cardinal get underway for the second half.