Letter: Dr. Amy Fowler will support all children

I enthusiastically endorse Dr. Amy Fowler for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City School Board. 

Amy has been an advocate for all children for many years. As a pediatrician, her passion and life’s work is about children —advocating for and ensuring their well-being physically and emotionally. In addition, Amy’s own three children have influenced her advocacy and their interests and needs vary widely. 

As a gifted education parent, Amy is an advocate for differentiated learning and the gifted education program. She served for many years as a Science Olympiad coach. Amy is also one of Chapel Hill’s biggest supporters of differentiated learning and inclusion for children with special needs. 

As president of the Special Needs Advisory Council (SNAC), Amy has led parents and community members in working cooperatively with CHCCS to help build one of the best programs in the state. 

As SNAC president, Amy has focused on increasing training for teachers and teaching assistants working with students with special needs. Inclusion is important to Amy and she is an advocate for ensuring as many opportunities for special needs students as possible. 

She has been a board member of the Autism Society of North Carolina and president of the Orange/Chatham County Chapter of the Autism Society of NC. From Amy’s profession to her personal life, her days are filled with children - caring, supporting, and helping ensure meaningful life opportunities in and out of school. 

Please vote for Amy Fowler for CHCCS Board of Education.

Lindsay Bedford

Chapel Hill