Editorial Board needs consensus and clarity

Reading the Oct. 11 editorial page of the DTH was not a little depressing. The Board still has not reached a consensus on the NRA—really? The Board also seems to be a little on the fence on the issue of free speech on campus. 

But what really surprised me was the use of the word “iteration” no less than twice in the latter article, “Free speech then and now.” 

While I am aware that languages change through time, this word seems to have infected the administration on campus very quickly—to all deans who might be reading this, please stop using this word!—and apparently our everyday speech. 

First we are told that “another iteration of the board made a vigorous defense of free speech...” and then, “This iteration of the board, for the most part, still adheres to this position.” 

I guess that it has become synonymous with “form” or “variant.” But is this really what the word means? Its original usage emphasizes repetition and sequences of procedures or processes, though I am told that it can also mean a version of computer software—the probable culprit.

But may I suggest that we stick to the clearer, “a former board,” or the “2015-2016 board.” And later in the paragraph, “this editorial board” will do, though you could have said, “the current board,” or maybe just “we” for heaven’s sake. 

And, to students who may be reading this, a note on prepositions. The expression is “based on;” not “based off of;” or “based around.” 

Prof. Donald Haggis

Classics