WOTS: How did you learn about sex education?

Mackenzie Dion.jpg

Graduate students in the Gillings School of Global Public Health created an app called "Real Talk," which uses credible sources to expose middle school students to sex education. 

Staff writer Emily Galvin asked students to travel back to their awkward days of adolescence and recall how they were taught sex education. 

Mackenzie Dion

First-year public policy major

"I think I found out about what sex was from friends, and we learned about the implications of sex in school but didn't really talk about sex itself. It was more focused on scary things like STDs and pregnancy." 

Saigopala Reddy 

First-year biology major

"It was mostly through school. I remember fifth grade, something called FLEVIS. I don't remember what it stands for. I think it just continued up through middle school." 

William Overton 

First-year business major

"I learned at home because I went to a private, Christian school, so they believed that the best way to learn would be through our parents." 

Caroline Hauder 

First-year undecided major

"We were taught in middle school, either sixth or seventh grade, and you had to fill out a waiver in order to attend the class." 

Arth Baghel 

First-year business and computer science major  

"It was mostly through school. Sixth grade sex ed is where it started in New Jersey. That's really where I learned about all of it, not really that much at home or from friends." 

Kimathi Muiruri

First-year undecided

“I’m from Canada, so I started learning about it in like third grade, and it was a part of the curriculum until high school.”