Saturday January 22nd

North Carolina football loses commitment from four-star linebacker Payton Wilson

<p>North Carolina football head coach Larry Fedora speaks at the team's media day in Kenan Stadium on Monday, Aug. 7.</p>
Buy Photos

North Carolina football head coach Larry Fedora speaks at the team's media day in Kenan Stadium on Monday, Aug. 7.

2018 four-star outside linebacker Payton Wilson decommitted from the North Carolina football team on Wednesday, per his Twitter account.

Wilson, the No. 68 player in the country and No. 3 player within North Carolina, said it was "one of the hardest decisions" he has made. Wilson originally committed to UNC on May 1.

The Orange High School (Hillsborough) senior tore his ACL on the opening kickoff on a game on Oct. 27, as first reported by Jonathan M. Alexander and J. Mike Blake of The News & Observer.

Since that injury, Wilson has taken official visits to N.C. State on Nov. 3 and Notre Dame on Nov. 18. Wilson was also selected to play in the 2018 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Before his season-ending injury, Wilson amassed 754 total yards, 103 tackles, 10 sacks and 10 total touchdowns in eight games.

@chapelfowler

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021