North Carolina falls in final seconds against South Alabama

Paris Kea gets pressured by South Alabama defenders in Sunday's 85-84 loss

North Carolina junior Paris Kea (22) comes under heavy pressure by South Alabama's Candice Williams (0) during Sunday afternoon's game at Carmichael Arena. 

After a tough battle throughout the game from both sides, the North Carolina women’s basketball team (2-2) came up short in the final seconds against South Alabama (2-1) in an 85-84 loss. 

After the Tar Heels won the jump ball, redshirt junior Paris Kea executed a jumper for the first shot of the game. The Jaguars then went on an 8-0 run that was halted by a made free throw by UNC first-year Janelle Bailey. Following a media timeout with 4:41 left to go in the first quarter, South Alabama sophomore Savannah Jones came out with a quick three-pointer. Jones went on to finish the first quarter with 14 points. 

UNC started the second quarter down 22-15, but flipped the script to outscore the Jaguars 22-15 in the second period to tie the game at 37 at halftime. The Tar Heels had the opportunity to take the last shot of the half, but Bailey was whistled for an illegal screen and the Jaguars got the ball back with seven seconds left, but also failed to score. 

Bailey was a spark for UNC at the start of the third quarter as she scored the team’s first six points to give the Tar Heels the 43-42 lead. North Carolina rode off of Bailey’s early momentum to finish the third quarter with a 64-57 lead. 

The Jaguars went on a 7-0 run early in the fourth quarter to force the Tar Heels to call a timeout with 7:54 left to play. With a few minutes left to go in the game, Bailey fouled out to leave the Tar Heels without her 6-foot-4 presence in the paint. North Carolina was up 84-81 with 0:48 left to play, but couldn’t overcome a huge defensive rebound by South Alabama with nine seconds left in the game, sealing their fate.

Kea led the Tar Heels with 31 points on 12-for-19 shooting and her 3-for-4 shooting performance from the three-point line. Kea also earned a double-double behind her 11 assists. Bailey was the next highest scorer with 17 points off of her 7-for-10 shooting. Redshirt first-year Jocelyn Jones led UNC with eight rebounds. 

In the fourth quarter, the game came down to the wire. With 9.2 seconds left, the Jaguars secured the defensive rebound and called a timeout. Following the timeout, senior Chyna Ellis went up for two points to give South Alabama a one-point lead with 5.2 seconds left. Following a North Carolina timeout, senior Jamie Cherry went up for a three-pointer from the top of the key, but it came up short and the Jaguars pulled away with a big-time victory. 

After knocking off Colorado in overtime last week, the Tar Heels couldn’t finish against South Alabama. With their second tough loss of the season, North Carolina is faced with some adversity early on, but the team has a chance to come together as a unit and bounce back.  

Who do they play next?

North Carolina will take on UNC-Wilmington on Wednesday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Carmichael Arena. 

@jordymae012