UNC wrestling drops first two matches of season at Journeymen Duals

Austin O'Connor
First year Austin O'Connor (in navy) wrestles senior teammate Troy Heilmann during UNC's wrestle-offs on Friday night in Carmichael Arena.

The No. 22 North Carolina men’s wrestling team lost two dual matches on Saturday against the No. 3 Oklahoma State Cowboys, 25-9, and the unranked Purdue Boilermakers, 31-6.

North Carolina started off the day poorly when it had to forfeit the first match of the day to Purdue’s Luke Welch, and this result was only a sign of things to come. The Tar Heels would lose their next two matches, and Purdue jumped out to a 12-0 lead. 

In the next match, North Carolina’s Troy Heilmann would pin Purdue’s Austin Nash in order to cut the deficit to 12-6. However, this match would be the Heel’s only win in the dual as Purdue would go on to win six straight matches for a 31-6 victory. 

In the dual against No. 3 Oklahoma State, things would not get much better. Oklahoma State won the first three matches in order to jump out to a quick 12-0 lead over the Tar Heels. Troy Heilmann would win his second match on the day to stop Oklahoma State’s hot start, but the Cowboys would win the next two matches making the score 18-3 in favor of Oklahoma State. 

Both sides would split the next four rounds, and Oklahoma State finished the dual with a 22-9 victory over the Tar Heels. 

Redshirt junior Troy Heilmann was one of the few bright spots on the day for the Tar Heels. He finished the day with a 2-0 record, including a pin against Purdue’s Austin Nash. Heilmann improved his overall record to 7-0 on the season after his two matches on Saturday.

The Tar Heels dug themselves into a hole early on in both dual matches. Purdue jumped out to a 12-0 lead before reaching a 31-6 victory, and Oklahoma State was also able to gain a 12-0 lead before the Tar Heels could put points on the board.

The No. 22 Tar Heels started off their 2017-18 campaign in disappointing fashion. They were upset by an unranked team in their first dual, and they were unable to recover for their top-5 matchup against Oklahoma State. 

The two losses this weekend moved the Tar Heels to 0-2 on the young season.

The Tar Heels will take the mat next against Appalachian State on Nov. 26 in Chapel Hill. 

@ballermike28