UNC photography class puts on 'Graphein' exhibition at FRANK Gallery

Graphein
"Graphein" features the works of 10 UNC students, including this photograph by Adrian Garcia. Courtesy of Adrian Garcia.

FRANK Gallery will be hosting "Graphein," an art photography exhibition put on by the Arts 305 class at UNC from Dec. 5 to Dec. 22. The exhibition will feature the work of 10 students as they share their achievements from the semester.

“Graphein” is a Greek word which means “to write with light,” and each of these students sets out to do just that. Good photography does not merely capture an image, but it also says something with it, which makes photography its own unique form of artistic expression.

“One of the most interesting things about photography is that each person has something to say, and it starts a public conversation,” said Adrian Garcia, an independent study student in the class.

Garcia’s project is in all black and white, which makes his art very direct and also nostalgic, giving the photographs an intimate quality.

Over the course of the class, the teacher, Gesche Würfel, gave the students three different assignments. First, they were to photograph everyday life, then narratives and finally anything they were interested in. This last project allowed the students to direct their focus to what they are passionate about. 

“Everyone has a very personal interest,” Würfel said of her class.

The class uses only analog photos and then enlarges them. During the process, they learn the fundamentals of analog photography about how to develop, print and ultimately present their photos.

The exhibition will be the last one FRANK Gallery puts on before their location change to University Place at the end of the month, which makes "Graphein" a kind of farewell show for the gallery. If this isn't enough reason to stop by, come to support the local, young artistic talent that has always been a staple here at UNC.

“I think it’s important to support the students,” Würfel said.

Over the past month or so, these 10 students have spent countless hours in the darkroom preparing their photos for the exhibition and are excited to share them with the public.

“We spent many nights that turned into mornings working on this,” said Alexa Blazevich, a former staff writer for The Daily Tar Heel, whose project, “The Everyday Dancer,” will be featured in the exhibition.

The opening reception will be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Dec. 8, where viewers will be able to interact with the students themselves. Doors will be open 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday, and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

@Joe__keys