Review: The Shoppe Bar and Meatball Kitchen brings a unique flavor to Carrboro

The Shoppe Bar and Meatball Kitchen is next to Esperanza in Carrboro. Staff writer Lauren Talley spent an afternoon trying out their menu. 

Atmosphere 

The Shoppe was intimate with a dozen or so tables donned with a few flowers in a Mason jar. Service was great, and our waiter was kind to explain the process of choosing our meatballs and sauce.

The restaurant was dimly lit with smooth jazz playing throughout. The interior design had a unique vibe to it — the walls were covered in old photos, and the back wall had old meat grinders scattered about with a deer head in the middle. The deer head was an intriguing design choice, and notably the only deer head I have ever seen in Carrboro.

For those of the legal age, there was also a bar which seemed to have a nice selection of different liquors. 

The Meatballs

When ordering, you choose your meatball — beef, chicken, spicy pork, veggie or their ball of the day — and then a sauce. There was a wide variety of sauces to choose from including tomato, parmesan cream, pesto, meat sauce, mushroom gravy or their sauce of the day.

Then you have the option to pick a side which your meatballs will be served on top of such as spaghetti or smashed potatoes. 

For our healthier guys and gals out there, you can place your meatball on top of collard greens, kale salad or their daily vegetable. For those who like to live a little, you can get your meatballs with mac and cheese.  

I got the spicy pork meatballs with smashed potatoes underneath. It came with a piece of focaccia, and for those like me who have no idea what that is, it was like a piece of garlic bread that tasted like heaven. The meal was a lot of carbs and I'll probably need to visit the gym afterwards, but it was overall amazing. 

The real star of the show was their mac and cheese. Topped with lightly toasted bread crumbs and covered in cheese, it is probably the best thing I have ever eaten in Carrboro.

Cost

For four meatballs and a side, the total was around $12. The serving was big enough to take some home for a second meal (a true score for any college student). It’s not a bad price for a meal, but I’ll probably be returning there next time when my parents come so they can pick up the bill. 

Conclusion

Overall, the Shoppe was a pleasant and fun experience. The concept of meatballs and a bar is definitely unique but fits well with Carrboro's vibe. They're also open until midnight on Friday and Saturday, making it an unconventional and fun destination on a night out.