Ten years after an iconic moment of the UNC-Duke rivalry, Tyler Hansbrough and Gerald Henderson start a podcast

Tyler Hansbrough.jpg
Tyler Hansbrough celebrates after winning the 2009 national championship.

There are three images, give or take, that encapsulate Tyler Hansbrough’s career as a North Carolina men’s basketball player.

One captures the goofy elation on his face after he led the 2006 Tar Heels to an unexpected win on Duke’s senior night in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Another depicts his 6-foot-9 frame enveloping his 5-foot-10 head coach in a bear hug after North Carolina had all but won the 2009 national championship. 

And the third one pays tribute to his long-held nickname of endearment — taken right after Duke guard Gerald Henderson’s elbow connected with and bloodied Psycho T’s nose in a 2007 contest between Duke and UNC in the Smith Center.

“He was their golden boy,” Henderson said lightheartedly, revealing that both players have moved on from the instance. “It was a horrible incident… It was a pretty big deal, but as we talk about it, we’re able to get both perspectives from it.”

Ten years later, Hansbrough and Henderson are hosting a podcast together, and they’ll be discussing something they were once at the epicenter of — the rivalry between the Duke and North Carolina basketball programs.

The podcast, officially titled “Tobacco Road,” plans to provide an insider’s perspective on the rivalry that, to some, is peerless in its tradition and intensity. 

Hansbrough and Henderson recorded the podcast’s first episode on Wednesday, and as of five hours after it was posted, it was listed as 15th on iTunes for audio podcasts — ahead of ESPN's First Take and The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz.

“I’ve been looking to get into different media stuff,” Henderson said. “So to have your own show, especially with someone like Tyler, (is) right up my alley. We’ll talk Duke-UNC from all ranges. It was almost like a no-brainer.”

Hansbrough said he hopes to welcome former and current players on the show, and that when he learned Henderson wanted to join him on the venture, he jumped at the opportunity.

“I thought it would get attention right from the get, and I think it’d catch on,” Hansbrough said. “I think we’re both actively involved with the programs as far as watching it, and still talk to a lot of former players.”

Hansbrough is currently playing professional ball in China, and Henderson is an NBA free agent, recovering from hip surgery after spending the 2016-17 season with the Philadelphia 76ers.

Henderson, who has experience working with ACC Network Extra, said that he thinks the career path of sports broadcasting is fun and one that he thinks he’d be good at.

“It’s definitely an option for me,” he said. “I think it’s something that you really have to transition (into) and decide you’re going to be on TV and put the basketball down.”

Hansbrough, who hasn’t really had any experience on the airwaves prior to this podcast, said that at the very least he will take this as an opportunity to learn.

“For me, I really don’t have anything right now in terms of expectations,” he said. “This is just kind of the only thing I’m doing so it’s an opportunity to kind of see if I like it, and if I want to continue and kind of improve and educate myself on how to get better at it.”

In 2007, the events that transpired between Hansbrough and Henderson helped fuel the UNC-Duke basketball rivalry.

Ten years later, the two are still contributing to it.

@alexzietlow05