As the semester winds down and students have to face the unfortunate truth that final exams are days away, students will look for anything to distract themselves. Fortunately, The Daily Tar Heel is here to help with the top five movies to watch when you’re procrastinating studying for finals.

Home Alone:

One of the most iconic Christmas movies of all time, “Home Alone” tells the story of a kid (Kevin) who finds himself fending off incompetent burglars over the holidays.

Few movies can be equally as funny in college as they were when you were 7, but that is definitely the case for “Home Alone.” There is an inherent joy in watching Kevin get to live out every little kid’s fantasy of not having any parents telling them what to do. The movie embraces its absurdity and never tries to realistically portray its subject material. Instead, it just has fun in a fantasy world, providing the perfect escape from finals. 

Memento:

“Memento” follows a man with crippling short-term memory loss as he tries to find his wife’s murderer.

Before he made big budget blockbusters like “The Dark Knight” and “Interstellar,” Christopher Nolan made what is arguably his best movie, “Memento.” The narrative structure is unlike almost any other movie and will engross viewers immediately with its strange and perplexing storyline. Nolan slowly drags us deeper into his intricately woven web with each subsequent clue illuminating the dark forces at play, all of which culminate in an utterly chilling ending.

Big Night:

In “Big Night,” two Italian brothers try to salvage their restaurant without losing touch with their heritage.

Nothing takes the mind off having to study for finals like good food, and there is no shortage of that in “Big Night.” Not only is it entertaining to watch these brothers try to make their Italian sensibilities translate to the average American’s palate, but the film features truly incredible cooking scenes. For these two brothers, food is more than just sustenance, it’s a way of life. This movie will hopefully gives students a newfound appreciation for food during their next visit to Lenoir. 

Before Sunset:

This sequel to “Before Sunrise” follows lovers as they meet in Paris for the first time since they originally met nine years before.

For those tired of reading over their lecture notes, the quick-paced and fascinating dialogue of “Before Sunset” should serve as a breath of fresh air. Despite being only 80 minutes long, the film is told in real time as the lovers discuss life, death and everything in between all while walking through the streets of Paris. Time flies by listening to these fascinating conversations, but luckily for students who want to procrastinate further, they can watch “Before Sunrise” and “Before Midnight.”

Tangerine:

“Tangerine” tells the story of two transgender prostitutes as they roam the streets of Los Angeles on Christmas Eve.  

It may not seem like it based on the plot description, but "Tangerine" is one of the most entertaining films of the past several years. Shot only on iPhones, this grimy look at a section of the population unknown to most is unlike any Christmas movie you’ve seen. The unorthodox filmmaking, matched with the witty performances, quick editing and structurally sound, yet comically brilliant script come together in a furious ball of energy that is a joy to watch. While the leads couldn’t be more different than the average college student, writer and director Sean Baker pulls universal human truths from the story that will resonate with all. 

@isaacrk37