COLUMN: Let's cool it with the 3-pointers, NBA big men

Chapel Fowler

Chapel Fowler

Last night, in a state of boredom, I decided to click around on a website I already use way too much: basketball-reference.com.

The goal was simple. Over the last NBA season and the start of this one, I kept noticing something when it came to power forwards and centers. Over and over, time after time, they were setting a screen and stepping back to the 3-point line.

Of course, that’s where the NBA — all of basketball, really — is going. A stretch four or a stretch five is a shiny new toy in the era of positionless basketball. But it seemed like overkill.

The pick and roll is the most simple, beautiful and effective play in basketball. Run it well at any level — in Woollen Gym, in the Smith Center or even in Madison Square Garden — and it’ll yield results. Someone will get a favorable matchup. Someone will get an open lane or shot.

Forward Luke Maye (32) pulls up for a jump shot against Northern Iowa on Friday in the Smith Center.

The pick and pop is the opposite. The big man hangs back instead of rolling into the lane. And that’s what I kept seeing these players do. So, back to the search.

I set a few filters to get players that are 6-foot-10 or taller who averaged at least two 3-point attempts a game during the 2017-18 season.

The results confirmed my theory. DeMarcus Cousins, who’s arguably the best center in the league, is jacking up 6.2 threes a game. Brook Lopez and Marc Gasol, two low-post masters, are taking over four a game each. Kristaps Porzingis is 7-foot-3 and takes almost five. In total, 32 players qualified for the search.

What does it mean? To me, it’s simple: there is absolutely nothing wrong with a power forward or center working on a 3-point shot, but he cannot fall in love with it.

Every possession a tall player spends outside of the paint is a missed chance at a rebound, tip-in or dump-off pass. Blake Griffin averaged 11.5 rebounds per game in his first two seasons. This season, he’s shooting 5.7 3-pointers a game, and his rebounding has dipped to a career low — 7.8 per game.

Gasol is 7-foot-1 and averaging just over seven rebounds per game in the last two years. Lopez, in limited minutes, averages just under four. Rookie seven-footer Lauri Markkanen basically lives on the perimeter, averaging 6.4 3-point attempts a game to just 7.6 rebounds for the Bulls.

Of course, there are benefits to this. The majority of the 3-pointers these players take are wide open or just slightly contested, since guards almost always draw both defenders into the lane before kicking it out. Cousins’ outside game is a nice complement to teammate Anthony Davis’ post and midrange presence. Markkanen made 100 career 3-pointers in 41 games, the fastest in NBA history.

It just has to come in moderation, though. One 3-pointer a game is fine. Maybe even two.

But by camping on the perimeter, players are abandoning their greatest asset and the reason they probably started playing basketball in the first place: their height.

@chapelfowler