Friday August 19th

Carol Folt, Roy Cooper announce partnership with United Health Foundation

<p>Chancellor Carol Folt announces why UNC is partnering with United Health Foundation. Gary Marchionini, dean of the UNC School of Information and Library Science, left, Gov. Roy Cooper, right, and UnitedHealth Group CEO David Wichmann, far right, were also in attendance for the announcement.&nbsp;</p>
Buy Photos

Chancellor Carol Folt announces why UNC is partnering with United Health Foundation. Gary Marchionini, dean of the UNC School of Information and Library Science, left, Gov. Roy Cooper, right, and UnitedHealth Group CEO David Wichmann, far right, were also in attendance for the announcement. 

United Health Foundation announced Tuesday it will begin a $1.6 million, three-year partnership with UNC to launch a new health care technology workforce training and education program through the Carolina Health Informatics Program.

UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Carol Folt, Gov. Roy Cooper and UnitedHealth Group CEO David Wichmann were all in attendance. 

“Our university is committed to tackling tough problems and training the next generation of diverse leaders,” Chancellor Carol Folt said. “We are grateful for United Health Foundation’s support and partnership to expand educational and training resources in the health care technology and analytics field.”

Project ENABLE seeks to grow access to health care data and informatics education and development through online and in-class training. It will focus on minority undergraduate students considering professions in the health care field.

The grant supports three different programs within Project ENABLE: in-person summer “boot camps” for students from local HBCUs, new online course content for health informatics programs, and a new online master’s degree to help professionals gain expertise with health informatics.

The partnership is in response to the country’s growing need for health informatics experts as technology becomes increasingly important to health care professions.

@AMPogarcic

Anna Pogarcic

Anna Pogarcic is the editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel. She is a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill studying journalism and history major. 

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022