No. 3 UNC men's tennis wins two non-conference matches in opening weekend

The No. 3 North Carolina men’s tennis (2-0) defeated Wofford, 4-0, on Saturday for its second win of the day.

After beating Bucknell earlier in the day, 7-0, the Tar Heels delivered another decisive victory against Wofford. UNC won every set it played, including a few matches that involved come-from-behind victories.

North Carolina is now 2-0 in its non-conference play.

Saturday was the day for first-years Mac Kiger and Benjamin Sigouin's first collegiate wins.

Both recorded wins earlier in the day in singles and doubles against Bucknell, and then again against Wofford. Kiger nearly completed a sweep of his two single sets, beating Wofford’s Javi Casasolas, 6-1, 6-0.

Senior Robert Kelly also nearly completed a sweep, winning his sets 6-0, 6-1, against Wofford’s Edu Villar. Kelly and sophomore William Blumberg had a nice come-from-behind victory against Julian Chousa and John Crawford from Wofford.

The UNC duo was at one point down one game to three but rallied to eventually win the set, 6-4.

Sophomore Josh Peck clinched the victory for North Carolina, delivering its fourth point in a row after winning his match, 6-1, 6-1. All the other matches had UNC either tied or in the lead at that time before that competition ended.

North Carolina is now 2-0, starting its 2018 season off strong to keep it standing at No. 3 in the nation.

Time will tell how UNC does against its first ranked opponent of the season, which could either be No. 17 Michigan or No. 20 South Carolina in the ITA Kickoff Weekend depending on how the first round plays out.

The team plays Campbell on Monday at 4:30 p.m. at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

@bg_keyes