The Station kicks off 2018 with a local bill

Echo Courts
Echo Courts is one of the bands performing at The Station on Jan. 20. Photo courtesy of Kelly Fahey.

Winter Storm Inga has kept everyone inside and bored these past couple days, but The Station in Carrboro is holding a show on Friday to offer a chance for people to come out and have some fun. 

“I think it’s a really fluid bill with three really good bands,” said Zach Dunham, a member of Arson Daily, one of the bands performing. “We are going to get really rowdy.”

Arson Daily formed in October 2014 while all of the band members were students at Appalachian State University in Boone. The group started by performing at house parties and, following graduation, made the move to Raleigh where they focused on narrowing their sound and putting out an EP titled “What’s on Your Mind?”

Dunham described Arson Daily’s music as indie, garage rock. 

“The main point is that it’s high energy,” said Dunham. “We’re very upbeat.”

In addition to Arson Daily, the bands The Remarks and Echo Courts are also a part of the show. Both groups similarly identify as indie rock bands. 

Like Arson Daily, The Remarks formed in Boone while attending Appalachian State University. Founding member Aaron Aiken got the group together after being asked to perform at a friend’s house party. 

“We learned the first album in a week,” said Aiken. “We didn’t even know each other and were very fresh.” 

Since that first week, The Remarks have developed their sound and figured out what music style they like as a band. The group is excited to play three new songs at the show on Friday and is looking ahead to a busy schedule. 

“We are playing a lot of shows from now to July,” Aiken said. “So, this is kind of like the thing to kick it all off.”

Similar to both other bands, Echo Courts formed about four years ago in Greensboro. A psych-pop-rock band heavy on guitar, the group has almost an entirely new look than it did when it was originally founded. 

“We’ve been through a bunch of members,” said Kelly Fahey, a member of Echo Courts. “But, we’re hoping to make it stick.”

Friday’s show marks the first of the year for The Station and also the first time all three bands have been on the same bill. The performers are looking forward to the show, hoping to offer the audience a chance to have some fun. 

“It’s cold out and everyone’s got cabin fever,” Dunham said. “So, why not get out of the house?”

@racheljensen21