UNC swimming and diving teams swept at Virginia

Maria Lohman
Diver Maria Lohman competes in the 2017 USA Diving Winter National Championships in Greensboro in December. Photo courtesy of Abel Sánchez.

The North Carolina swimming and diving teams traveled to Charlottesville, Va.,to take on Virginia on Saturday. Both the men’s and women’s teams were defeated by the Cavaliers. The No. 21 UNC women were dominated by No. 8 Virginia, losing, 196-104. The UNC men lost to No. 23 Virginia, 192.5-101.5.

The atmosphere was crazy in Charlottesville for senior day, and UVA’s crowd proved to be too much for the Tar Heels.

The No. 21 Tar Heel women (4-3, 1-1 ACC) got off to a slow start in Charlottesville. The team's first win came in the 15 event in the one-meter-dive finals, with junior Maria Lohman earning first place with a score of 288.53. The next win came two events later, when senior Caroline Baldwin finished first in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 48.77 seconds.

The UNC men (3-4, 1-1 ACC) also struggled early. First-year Valdas Abaliksta earned the men's first win of the day with a first-place finish in the 100-yard breaststroke, placing with a time of 54.59 seconds. It was a momentum boost for the Tar Heels. Four events later, senior J.T. Casey recorded another UNC win by finishing first in the 50-yard freestyle with a time of 20.51 seconds.

Caroline Baldwin is a veteran of the UNC women’s team, and the Tar Heels needed her leadership today. Baldwin came in second in the 50-yard freestyle but was able to come back and finish first in the 100-yard freestyle. The momentum helped boost the team after the Tar Heels fell behind early.

The Tar Heels found themselves out of the competition early on. Out of the first 14 races of the day, UNC only won two, and both of these victories came from the men. UNC was not able to bounce back from the early losses.

This was UNC’s first road meet against an ACC opponent. Securing a win in Charlottesville would have been a huge confidence booster as the Tar Heels continue down the stretch of ACC play.

The Tar Heels will host the No. 6 N.C. State men’s team and the No. 15 N.C. State women’s team on Friday, January 26 at 5 p.m. in Koury Natatorium.