Chapel Hill Sports Club welcomes ACC Commissioner John Swofford at monthly meeting

John Swofford CHSC

ACC Commissioner John Swofford speaks to members of the Chapel Hill Sports Club at Squid's Restaurant, Market and Oyster Bar on Feb. 21, 2018 in Chapel Hill.

Last Wednesday, ACC Commissioner John Swofford returned to his old stomping ground to speak about what he’s done in his time as a leader in college athletics at a Chapel Hill Sports Club meeting.

And he's done a lot.

Swofford, who graduated from UNC in 1971, donned a Tar Heel jersey when he played quarterback and defensive back for the football team. He then progressed to serving as the youngest UNC athletic director in the nation at the time from 1980 to 1997, and then continued his service in college athletics when he became ACC Commissioner in 1997.

At the meeting, Swofford offered a behind-the-scenes glimpse of his day-to-day responsibilities. He said that the ability to facilitate consensus in a group of schools with conflicting interests is his most important role as commissioner.

“You ask (these schools) to compete with each other at the very highest level, day in and day out," he said. "Certainly on the field and on the court, but they’re also competing with each other for everything from sponsorships to recruiting.

“And you’re asking them to come into a board room together and make decisions that are in the best interest of the whole, meaning the conference. And that could be very challenging.”

Swofford also talked about the conference’s decision to expand the league from nine to 15 schools under his tenure, and he explained why the expansion was an important step for the ACC to sign a TV contract through 2035-36 with ESPN.

"We had to get bigger," he said. "We had to have more television sets. We had to get better at football ... as a nine member league, we would have never had that opportunity, and we needed that opportunity to keep up with our colleague conferences from a revenue-generation standpoint."

CHSC is a membership organization since 1995 that promotes collegiate and high school athletics in Orange County. On top of hosting guests to speak at monthly meetings at Squid's Restaurant, Market and Oyster Bar in Chapel Hill, the organization donates $250 to $500 to local elementary and high schools.

Brian Chacos, the president of CHSC and former UNC offensive tackle who graduated in 2006, said that most of the organization’s operations involve Tar Heel athletics. Many of the members are season ticket holders, Rams Club members, ex-faculty of the University and UNC athletic administrators.

“Normally what happens is we come, we eat for 30 minutes, and we’ll make announcements, then have our speakers,” Chacos said. “We usually just have a speaker that will get up and talk and they take Q&A.”

After his opening remarks, members of CHSC directed the conversation to how people are consuming college sports. With the ubiquity of media coverage on college athletics today — including local games getting televised — the landscape is changing.

Earlier this year, UNC announced that Kenan Stadium would decrease its capacity from 63,000 to about 51,000 in order to renovate viewing sections to make seating more comfortable — a move Swofford called genius.

"I'm one of those guys that always liked, as an AD, to have a few people outside wanting a ticket that couldn't get one," he said. "That's the best of all circumstances."

CHSC will meet three more times before the group breaks for the summer. 

For more information on the CHSC, contact foxhill904@yahoo.com.

@alexzietlow05