Editorial: Take note! Write notes!

Thank you notes are for more than just birthdays.

Do you remember a time before cell phones and email when you actually penned notes to your friends when they came to your birthday party? 

Or when your parents made you handwrite thank you notes for your teachers at the end of the school year? 

Maybe thank you notes weren’t a part of your formative years, but now that you’re a semi-functioning young adult, invest in some stationery and invest some time in writing some handwritten thank you notes. 

If you interview for an internship, a fellowship or a job, send a thank you note to your interviewer, especially if the interview went well. 

Once the note arrives to your interviewer in the mail, you will be remembered for both your politeness and thoughtfulness. 

And most importantly, write thank you notes for the professors, advisors and mentors in your life who have shaped you in important ways. An email is better than nothing, but it’s easy to send an email thank you, and can be more meaningful to actually write a note.* 

*International postage is expensive and can be exempted from this general rule of thumb.

You may feel like handwriting a note is a little awkward, a little formal, a little stiff. But once you start, the words will flow and you’ll be really glad you did. Handwritten notes of gratitude are kind and memorable. 

Show that you care and write a note!