Editorial: Why you should attend HKonJ this Saturday

37572_moral_march_nathan_2f.jpg
Marchers move down Jones St. at the 11th HKonJ march in Raleigh on Feb. 11, 2017.

This weekend is HKonJ. 

In a time when leaders across the American federalist system are abdicating their responsibility to apply law in an equitable way, barring and demonizing any effort to bring reform and promoting divisive rhetoric, it is more important than ever for the citizens of the Old North State to rally in support of the extension of rights to all people and the promotion of minority groups. 

The event, which starts at 8:30 a.m. in Raleigh, represents the coming together of people concerned about the direction our state and country are going in. Last year was a high mark for HKonJ, with up to 80,000 people in attendance. That is wonderful, and hopefully, that number will rise this Saturday. 

But why should someone give up a Saturday morning of sleep to attend? It’s simple, power in numbers. Writing you congressional leaders is good, but taking to the streets is the truest form of democratic expression. 

The photos coming out of HKonJ will show those who wish to promote racism and bigotry that the number of people opposing their agendas is on the rise. North Carolina is a battleground state, and the concerned people of this state need a show of force. 

What if you can’t get there? Well, if you’re a UNC student, you’re in luck. Numerous student groups are planning trips to Raleigh already. 

If you cannot attend, considering donating to a cause you care about or to the North Carolina NAACP who is organizing the event. Or find out how to get involved in social justice organizing in your own communities. 

Ultimately, Saturday will be another day and another march. While the photos that are sure to flood Instagram feeds are important, one day will not be substantial enough to buoy lasting change. The time for simply having lofty ideals is over. Now we need ideals followed by action, follow through and commitment if the current system is to be changed. 

While big gatherings are important, continued action is most needed. This is a major election year — now is not the time to be silent. 

You could sleep through Saturday morning, or you could be actively changing history. The choice is yours.