LAB! Theatre gets down and dirty on Valentine's Day

Erotic Fiction
Catherine Shocket and Anna Hughes perform at LAB! Theatre's annual Erotic Fiction reading event at Linda's Downbar on Valentine's Day. Photo by Caroline Almy.

LAB! Theatre will be hosting their annual live readings of erotic fiction featuring original stories, fan fiction, songs and more on Valentine's Day. 

The event will be held at the Downbar at Linda’s Bar and Grill on Franklin Street and will begin at 10 p.m. 

Summer Lawrence, a sophomore majoring in communications and dramatic art, is co-producing the event this year with friend and colleague Emma Scaggs. Lawrence said that she got involved with the event through working as a board member for LAB! Theatre. 

“I went to it last year and it was hilariously amazing, so when they were like, ‘Hey, would you like to produce this?’ I was so on board,” Lawrence said. “Last year someone did a really cute story about the life of a condom wrapper and it was the most hilarious, funniest thing ever. It’s all comedic and no one takes it seriously — it’s just to have a fun time on Valentine’s Day.” 

Scaggs, a sophomore majoring in biology and dramatic art, is also on the board for LAB! Theatre and said that she was excited to take on the challenge of co-producing the event. Last year, she performed her own live reading of a High School Musical fan fiction she wrote called, “You are the Music in Me.” 

“I always like the really bizarre ones,” she said. 

Scaggs said she loves the event for its comedic atmosphere and specifically the fan fictions. 

“It is just so funny,” she said. “It’s a really great second date when you’re not prepared to go on a romantic evening on Valentine’s Day — but this is perfect."

This year, guests can expect to hear original songs written and performed by graduates, as well as fan fiction about "Star Wars" and "Harry Potter," to name a few highlights. 

The event will be hosted by Shea Stanley, a junior studying theater, communications and screenwriting, who was introduced to the live reading event through her involvement with LAB! Theatre and We the Ladies comedy group. She said that even though she is hosting, she has no prior knowledge about the acts and is very excited to see what the event has in store. 

“I haven’t seen anything, and I don’t know anything, so I’m very excited,” Stanley said. “It’s just a very silly night and a really good way to spend Valentine’s Day laughing and making fun of dumb, erotic fiction — or celebrating it — who knows.”

Co-producers Lawrence and Scaggs are thrilled about the night that they have put together for the guests and hope that everyone enjoys the performances they’ve picked as much as they do. 

“It’s a fun, totally out there, non-conventional thing to do that might be a fun switch up on Valentine’s Day, and I can guarantee you that you will literally be laughing the entire time,” Lawrence said. “It just creates such a feel of community among even strangers that you’re doing this kind of intimate reading with, and you can discover something about yourself.”

@_oliviaclark