UNC staff could see changes in salaries and health benefits soon

Monday’s Faculty Welfare Committee meeting covered subjects related to students, faculty and staff alike. Here are the top three takeaways:

1) A resolution asking for fair, market-rate compensation for UNC staff members is in the works.

The resolution was written by the Employee Forum's Personnel Issues Committee as a response to a report on market rates by the UNC System Office. It is just a preliminary draft.

Clare Counihan, program coordinator for faculty and staff at the Carolina Women’s Center, said compensation for staff members does not reflect current market rates.

“One of the things the committee thought was really important is creating a data point for the University to take to, for example the legislature, to say this is what folks were paid before the economic crisis,” Counihan said. “The numbers may be bigger on salary but people are effectively making less, especially when you factor in the value of health benefits and everything.”

Some employees, who are subject to the State Human Resources Act, have salaries tied to career bands. This career banding puts certain staff jobs into categories with set salary rates, which may not reflect inflation and salary compression. Counihan said the employee forum is trying to increase cooperation between staff and faculty. 

2) UNC Human Resources is expanding wellness benefits with free blood pressure checks and retirement planning classes. 

Students, faculty and staff will soon be able to get their blood pressure checked for free in 12 places on campus instead of four. The “Check. Change. Control” program by the American Heart Association allows participants to maintain a healthy heart by giving them access to free blood pressure checks as well as an online tracker and educational materials. Students can now check their blood pressure until June 1 at Campus Recreation, the Gillings School of Global Public Health and Kenan-Flagler Business School gym with others being added soon.

UNC Human Resources will be hosting a financial fitness lunch series every Wednesday starting March 14. The lunches will be hosted in the Molecular Biology Research Building and will be administrated by the Teacher's Insurance and Annuity Association. 

3) Some people are using www.facultyhandbook.unc.edu as a faculty directory. Hint, it’s definitely not one.

People from outside the University have been skewing the data of the Office of Faculty Governance by using the digital employee handbook as a faculty directory. The faculty handbook, which was revived and put online in 2014, is the place for UNC faculty to find University policies in a central, accessible location. Some people from outside the University are making searches unrelated to the main uses of the site, which is making it more difficult to assess the site. The Faculty Welfare Committee also discussed finishing up usability surveys so the Office of Faculty Governance can revamp the website and reduce confusion for both employees and non-employees. 

@marcoquiroz10