'Love ain't cheap,' local florists prepare for their busiest time of year

Florists on Franklin Street are especially busy this week with Valentine’s Day coming Wednesday. Last-minute orders as well as shoppers flood into the shops to buy flowers for their special someone.

Peak season for florists begins with Valentine’s Day, reaches a climax at Mother’s Day and then remains steady through spring and fall with weddings around Chapel Hill.

Most of the roses bought and sold this week are shipped into Chapel Hill from all over the world, with some coming from as far as Ecuador and other countries in South America. The roses stay fresh by being shipped in cold trucks or by plane from wholesale houses.

Flowers are also sourced locally from central North Carolina, with “bucket trucks” showing up mid-morning nearly every day to sell their product to the shops on Franklin. Bucket trucks contain buckets of the farmers’ pick of the day. The most popular flowers of the season are roses, tulips, orchids and lilies.

Charles House, owner of University Florist since 1980, has over 50 years of experience in the business. He said most customers order online ahead of time.

“We do a lot of custom work," House said. "Some people want something a little more traditional. Some people want something more high-style, more contemporary."

Doug Hearne, a designer at Chapel Hill Florist, will be in the shop until 2 a.m. the night before Valentine's Day preparing arrangements. Hearne and his co-worker have received around 200 orders of roses this holiday. Roses can come in over 10 different colors, with different varieties, shapes and styles. 

“I tend to like the more modern style of arrangements. Very minimalistic, simple, elegant,” said Hearne, who is celebrating his 10th Valentine's Day as a designer in Chapel Hill. 

Traditional arrangements include roses, but they also can include lilies, which Chapel Hill Florist gets from Sarah and Michael’s Farm in Durham. Contemporary arrangements can include a wide variety of flowers, more vibrant and wilder than traditional orders. 

Some arrangements can run up to $350, depending on how far the flowers must ship and how rare the species is. Most of the customers that come into the shop are students that live across from the shop in Carolina Square and local patrons.

“Love ain’t cheap,” Hearne said.

Florist shops during this time of year aren’t just for lovers searching for the perfect arrangement. Sophomore Taylor Massee Smith was picking up a succulent bowl from her parents for Valentine's Day. Succulents have become increasingly popular in the past year for dorm decorations.

Junior Brooke Murad worked for both florist shops on Franklin Street as a first-year. 

“Arranging flowers during holidays is kind of the worst," she said. "It’s nice to be busy all the time, but it gets stressful fast. You want to make sure every piece is beautiful and perfect, but you can’t spend as much time as you’d like."

Valentine’s Day is her favorite holiday to arrange, however.

“Since we take down card messages, florists always have good gossip," Murad said.

@stephipiefke