Here are free and low-cost locations for you to get STI testing

Campus Health offers students ways to promote mental health. 

STI/HIV testing can be complicated when you have a busy schedule, financial issues or you don't want your parents to know. Here we've compiled a list of places that offer free testing, free treatment and other options that can accommodate your hectic life.

Student Health Action Coalition (SHAC)

Carrboro Address: 299 Lloyd St.

Durham Address: 1301 Fayettveille St. 

Hours: Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Piedmont Health Services Inc. in Carrboro; Mondays from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Lincoln Community Health Center in Durham

About: SHAC is a student-led organization started in 1968 that provides free health services while also creating a learning environment for UNC students in the health science programs. Free STI testing is funded by the state and is offered to anyone over 14 years old on a walk-in basis or by appointment. SHAC also does outreach events, including attempting to reach people working in the service industry in February and migrant workers in April and attending the Pride rallies when they occur. 

SHAC-HIV Director Will Roper said SHAC is staffed by students pursuing graduate education in related fields at the University. The organization trains staff to encourage prevention, work with marginalized populations and offer more information than North Carolina’s sexual education provides. 

“We don’t provide treatment," Roper said. "We’re attached to infectious disease department at UNC for treatment for Hepatitis C and HIV, and we have a partnership with various health departments for treatment of syphilis."

STI/STD Testing: Free

Carrboro location: offers testing, counseling and educational information for HIV, Hepatitis C (HCV), gonorrhea, chlamydia and syphilis

• HIV, HCV, and syphilis test results come back in about 30 minutes, while gonorrhea and chlamydia results are delivered the week following the test

Durham location: free HIV testing and counseling

• Roper said SHAC reports results to the University's Infectious Disease Department and sets up appointments for patients who test positive. 

Bus Route: J for Carrboro, 405 and 5 for Durham

Campus Health Services

Address: 320 Emergency Room Drive, James A. Taylor Building, Chapel Hill, NC 27599

Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every day of the week during the academic year

Campus Health Services offers testing for STIs, STDs and HIV. Thevy Chai, lead primary care physician, said CHS also prescribes treatments for diagnosed patients. Services are confidential.

STI/STD testing: can pay through insurance or out-of-pocket.

Campus Health Services offers testing at the following rates:

• Chlamydia, Gonorrhea and Trichomoniasis- $91.50
  • Chlamydia and Gonorrhea test - $60
  • Chlamydia only - $30
  • Gonorrhea only - $30
  • Syphillis - $9
  • Herpes Type 1 and 2 IgG - $54
  • Wet prep - $22
  • Urine Pregnancy test - $15

HIV testing options at CHS:

• Oral swab - $29 in clinic
  • Blood test through CHS (~2 days for results) - $29
  • HIV 4th Gen - $29

STI treatment: can pay through insurance or out of pocket

Bus route: A, N or RU

Orange County Health Department

Chapel Hill Address: 2501 Homestead Rd. 

Hillsborough Address: 300 West Tryon St. 

Hours: 

• The Chapel Hill location is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Thursday, and 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday. 
  • The Hillsborough Location is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, and 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday. 

About: Robin Gasparini, public health nursing supervisor for the Orange County Health Department, said the Orange County Health Department is mandated by the state to provide STI testing, and consequently provides free services by appointment through county and state funding. Gaspirini said the department handles about 12,000 visits for STD services between its two locations in Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. All visits are confidential, and clients can request the department not to bill their insurance. 

STI testing: free

Both locations offer a physical examination, labs, treatment and counseling for HIV, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia (females only), herpes, urethritis (males only) and trichomonas. 

STI treatments: some free, and prescriptions are at a reduced-price. 

• Gasparini said the department is able to offer prescriptions for Truvada, which can reduce the risk of HIV infection, through a partnership with Gilead, which produces the medication. Required follow-up appointments at the health department, however, are free and include assessment, counseling and a blood test.  

Bus Route: to Hillsborough: 420

Bus Route: to Chapel Hill: NS