Letter: Wayne Blair leaving as a Tar Heel forever

I am writing to say thank you. Thank you to all the members of the Carolina community who have visited, supported, or told a friend, coworker or fellow student about the University Ombuds Office. 

I am leaving my position as University Ombuds and Director of the University Ombuds Office to become the ombuds at the Asian Development Bank. The bank helps developing countries throughout Asia and the Pacific region reduce poverty and improve the quality of life of their people. 

This is a wonderful professional development opportunity for me. But it is hard to leave!

I arrived in Chapel Hill in February 2005 to open the ombuds office, which was established by Chancellor Moeser as a result of his Task Force for a Better Workplace. 

Now, thirteen years later, the Office is flourishing as an integral part of the campus culture. If you are not familiar with what we do, please go to www.ombuds.unc.edu

I am proud of the work I and my colleagues, Laurie Mesibov and Victoria Dowd, have done and of our efforts to help visitors to the office and to help inform decision makers of broad trends that may benefit from their attention. Laurie and Victoria will staff the Office and look forward to working with a new Director of the office once one arrives on campus in late spring or summer. 

They will make sure that University Ombuds Office is, as it has been, a welcoming place for all. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to work at this great public university. I treasure the strong positive relationships I have developed with people across the campus, and I appreciate the acts of kindness and friendship so many of you have shown me. 

I may not be a Tar Heel born or bred, but I am a Tar Heel now and forever. 

Wayne Blair

Former University Ombuds and Director of the University Ombuds Office