Letter: Grandsons, Oprah & Hollywood

Many have hailed Oprah Winfrey’s speech at Hollywod’s latest self adulation ceremony as presidential. Praising women who have come forward to accuse their male oppressors, Oprah envisioned a “new horizon” for women. 

The crowd was like mob like in their response echoing the sentiment basic civil rights should be suspended in order to encourage women to come forward. For the audience, the speech was wildly inspirational: for a grandfather of grandsons, the message was bone-chilling.

Has Hollywood forgotten the injustice perpetrated in the name of political correctness at Duke University? Without due process exposing corruption from accuser to prosecutor, 3 grandsons would be serving their 10th year of a 30-year sentence. 

The Obama administration’s disdain for the rule of law and willingness to suspend civil rights to accommodate extreme agendas is now a matter of history. 

Reversing Obama-era policies on campus sexual assault under Title IX by the Secretary of Education is not only another repudiation of the Obama administration, but also a relief to grandfathers and grandmothers with grandsons and granddaughters.

Joe Exum

Snow Hill