Shred for Music Ed event to raise funds for local high school band program

Shred for Music Ed
Shred for Music Ed raised money for the band program at C.E. Jordan High School in Durham. Photo courtesy of Paul Jones Photography.

Almost 200 people came out Friday night to the Motorco Music Hall to attend Shred for Music Ed, an event intended to raise money for the band program at C.E. Jordan High School in Durham. Four local bands — A Light Divided, Kairos., The Reticent and Undrask performed in the show. Band director and member of The Reticent Chris Hathcock organized the event, which raised over $2,000 for the program. Staff writer Rachel Jensen had a conversation with Hathcock about his motivation and the preparation that went into the event. 

The Daily Tar Heel: How did you decide to put on this show? 

Chris Hathcock: I’ve been a music educator for about a decade, and every school that I have worked at has been a Title I school. I have students that have been homeless, and I have had students that cannot afford the $3 reed for a clarinet, much less the instrument itself. But I’ve seen how earnestly children want to explore music. This event is a unique opportunity to do two things. We want to raise money, and we can also show the band students in the audience that adults can have day jobs, but we can still use music to express ourselves. Music can be a companion for throughout your life. 

DTH: How long have you been preparing this event? 

CH: I came up with the idea a while ago. It took a few months to get the date and time all squared away with the Motorco Music Hall. That was really it.  

DTH: What are your fundraising goals? 

CH: We hope to make at least $1,000 from this event, with a goal of $4,000 overall from multiple events. The money will go towards new instruments and the program overall. If we have a good turn out, I think it can help push us over the top. 

DTH: How are the bands involved in the event connected to C.E. Jordan High School? 

CH: I’m in one of the bands, The Reticent, and all of the other bands are friends of mine. We all had positive experiences in high school band programs and have altruistic feelings. When I was planning the event, everyone wanted to give back, so the bands were all very willing to jump on board. 

DTH: In your opinion, what are some highlights from the event? 

CH: I think the overall highlight is getting to see the musicianship. For instance, with the Undrask, I’ve never seen them and walked away without a smile. For my band, The Reticent, our performance is more emotional and really deals with the themes of depression and suicide prevention. Every band has their own identity. It really gives the show a yin and yang element that I think the audience can appreciate. 

@racheljensen21