Eight-run fifth inning powers UNC baseball over Liberty in 17-2 win

The No. 19 North Carolina baseball team defeated the Liberty Flames 17-2 on Friday evening in Boshamer Stadium after a two hour wind delay. 

Sophomore pitcher Tyler Baum took the mound for the Tar Heels (5-5) against Liberty and looked strong early on. Through three innings, he held the Flames hitless with four strikeouts while allowing only one runner to reach base. 

While Baum was dealing, UNC had early offensive struggles of its own. North Carolina failed to record a hit through the first two innings of the ball game, but its fortunes changed in the third. 

After the first two batters of the inning were walked and redshirt sophomore Dallas Tessar stole a base, he advanced home for the first run of the game on a wild pitch. A second run would cross later in the inning when junior Brandon Riley scored on a sacrifice fly to right field by junior Cody Roberts.

In the top of the fourth, Liberty recorded their first two hits of the game. After a leadoff single, junior Tre Todd launched a homerun off the scoreboard in leftfield to tie the game at two. After the fourth inning, the teams were tied 2-2, but it wouldn't stay that way for long. 

The Tar Heels regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning with a flurry of hits that became eight runs. 

A single to left-center by Roberts brought home Kyle Datres to retake the lead. UNC added another two more runs in the inning when sophomore Ashton Mcgee nailed a double off the right field wall. With the bases loaded and only one out, Liberty walked three consecutive batters and sophomore Michael Busch tacked on two more runs with a two out single. By the end of the inning, the Tar Heels held a 10-2 lead. 

UNC added seven more runs the rest of the way, including a pair of two-run home runs by Zack Gahagan and Brandon Riley. The lead from the fifth inning was too much to overcome and North Carolina closed the door on Liberty for the 17-2 win.  

Riley played a large role in the win. He drew three walks and hit a single and a two-run home run to finish with three RBIs.  

Gahagan also contributed to the offensive explosion. He had two hits, including a two-run home run, and added a walk. He had two RBIs as did Busch and McGee.

Batting may have been the most notable part of UNC’s victory, but the starting pitching was just as important to the win. Tyler Baum held Liberty to just two runs through six innings of work, struck out seven and allowed only three hits to improve to 2-0 through three starts. 

After a tight 2-2 game through four innings, the Tar Heels took control in the bottom of the fifth inning. UNC batted around the order, sending 13 batters to the plate in the inning and had an eight run lead by the end of the inning — and it would only grow from there. 

Friday’s victory marked the Tar Heels second straight victory after losing four games last week. The 17 run explosion was a season-high for UNC, topping the 10 run performance earlier in the week. 

North Carolina has now scored 27 runs in its past two games, an improvement after only scoring six runs in three games against ECU last weekend.  

The Tar Heels took the first game of a three-game weekend series against Liberty on Friday night  and they will be back in action on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. 

@ballermike28