Campus Movie Fest brings the red carpet to UNC

UNC Campus Movie Fest
UNC's Campus Movie Fest will premiere this Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the Student Union. Photo courtesy of Sara Stewart.

Campus Movie Fest (CMF) has invaded UNC. Filmmakers around campus have been making movies for the past week, with the hope that they will be screened this Wednesday.

The contest began on Feb. 27. Any UNC student was allowed to enter and would be given a week and some filming equipment to make the best short film possible.

Sara Stewart, a promoter for the UNC edition of CMF, said that in 2015 there were 32 entrants in UNC’s contest, but this year she expects even more — around 40 or 50. 

“We are an amateur film festival but we want it to be like the beginning — a student’s first taste of a professional film festival,” Stewart said.

CMF started when a resident advisor at Emory University wanted to create an activity for his residents to do in their dorms. It was a hit, and has grown since its beginning from a film festival at Emory to an event that spans across the country.

This year’s edition of CMF at UNC has attracted a wide array of filmmakers, whose ideas run the gamut from serious and pensive to absurd and hilarious.

UNC sophomore Alex Kim entered her film “Not in This World” into the competition. Kim said her film is all about the micro-aggressions that occur in interracial relationships. 

“It’s been pretty difficult. I mean not really difficult, just kind of hard to choose between wanting to allow someone else to experience your culture versus just being comfortable within your culture,” Kim said.

UNC sophomore Claire Goray is the writer and producer of “Roy Williams is My Father,” another film in the contest. The film is about a fictitious UNC student who believes basketball head coach Roy Williams is her father.

Goray explained that “Roy Williams is My Father” was inspired partially by the current basketball season and seeks to show the ridiculous extent to which we glorify sports figures like Roy Williams. 

But Goray said that this was not the film's primary purpose.

“People should come see it because basically it’s just really funny, and what we wanted to do is just make people laugh," Goray said. "And definitely have something that captures where we are in the basketball season right now. It’s funny because we’re all just like this kid who believes Roy Williams raised her.”

There will be a reception held for contest participants in the Great Hall of the Student Union on March 7 at 6:30 p.m. Doors will open to the general public at 7 p.m., and the 16 best films, as determined by a board of judges, including students, faculty and members of the Chapel Hill community, will be shown at 7:30 p.m. All films in the contest are five minutes or less.

The reception will feature a red carpet for photos, food and drinks. In addition to special honors for what are deemed the best four films, including a chance for student's film to be screened at Cannes Film Festival, attendees will have the chance to win door prizes.

@aj_oleary55