Letter: Chancellor Folt's neutrality won't create change

I have read about the article entitled “What we know about the anonymous faculty demanding Silent Sam’s removal” by Kiana Cole at 7:31pm, Feb 28th. 

The article reported that Peters Denny said Folt is not reaching to the governor at all, and the UNC administration would not make policy decisions based on threats from unauthenticated groups. This arrogant comment convinced me that Chancellor Folt is trying to avoid resolving the problem, very likely for her lacking sense of responsibility to resolve the problem. 

These protesters are not anonymous: they are authorized faculty professors who represent the beliefs of thousands of students who are feeling humiliation and threats from racism. Chancellor Folt should stop avoiding admitting that the white supremacy gave birth to Silent Sam, and leaving the statue standing on McCorkle Space is like claiming UNC believes in the inferiority of black people. 

None of the ever happened and happening petitions should be merely referred as vandalism of public property: they are the declarations and defenses for the rights and respects the black people deserve. 

Chancellor Folt should clearly respond to the issue in a timely manner, instead of putting herself onto a neutral position and anticipating her soft and evasive attitude will resolve the problem.

Our university should be a model of open-mindedness and respect for diversity. It is time for UNC administration to stop being stubborn and silent on the issue of Silent Sam, and make efforts to account for the well-being of all students.

Yuting Xue

China