Letter: Tucker Carlson editorial displays "journalistic sloth"

My name is Ed Vick ('62) and I am Chairman of the Board of Advisers of the School of Media and Journalism. I write with disappointment over your editorial skewering my school and the Parks for inviting Tucker Carlson to Carolina. It was not the position you took that horrified me. Dean King superbly addressed your disinterest in opposing views. 

What really upset me was your journalistic sloth. To wit: you were incensed that SMJ could invite to campus such a rabid conservative. So you started writing. But as you reread your piece, you likely realized that some factual support would be a helpful bolster.

You were in a rush to deadline, so you googled the Parks for about ten minutes and you found a $20,000 donation to a right wing "Freedom Center." So you pasted that into your piece to add a patina of validation and you're done! 

Wait … what about the millions of dollars the Parks have given over the past 20 years to provide hundreds of young UNC students with higher level degrees, all without asking anything in return? Extraneous? Irrelevant? Were you unaware? Seriously?

Whoever you are, I hope you are not in the School of Media and Journalism. We should have taught you better. In any case, you have a long way to go before you can pretend to be a journalist. 

Ed Vick

Class of '62