North Carolina men's tennis stays perfect in ACC play with 6-1 win at Notre Dame

Blaine Boyden unc men's tennis.jpg
North Carolina men's tennis player Blaine Boyden takes a backhand.

The North Carolina men’s tennis team (13-3, 4-0 ACC) improved its winning streak to three games after a 6-1 victory on Friday afternoon over Notre Dame (10-9, 2-2 ACC).

The No. 5 Tar Heels jumped out to a three-point lead by winning the doubles point and the first two singles points.

Sophomore Simon Soendergaard and first-year Mac Kiger defeated Matt Gamble and Alex Lebedev of Notre Dame 6-0 for the first doubles win. First-year Benjamin Sigouin and junior Blaine Boyden followed with a 6-2 defeat of Grayson Broadus and Richard Ciamarra to earn UNC the point. The third doubles match went unfinished on Court One.

In the first two singles matches No. 34 Sigouin defeated Guillermo Cabrera 6-0, 6-2 while Richard Ciamarra defeated Soendergaard in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2.

UNC followed it up with four straight victories including a win from No. 2 William Blumberg over No. 48 Lebedev 6-2, 6-7 (2-7), 1-0 (10-4). Senior Robert Kelly, Boyden and Kiger also emerged victorious.

The first two single matches stood out for a few reasons. The Tar Heels were able to gain momentum by gaining a three-point lead and it involved Blumberg defeating the No. 48 player in the country in a very tight match that went the distance.

Sigouin followed suit by dominating Cabrera and surrendering just two games in the entire match. The play from those two players set the tone for a commanding day for UNC. 

UNC began the day with a hot start, winning the first three points of the afternoon and the first four out five points, which clinched the victory. As such, the outcome of the day was decided very quickly.

North Carolina keeps up its strong play and now boasts a 13-3 record and a 4-0 start to ACC play. The Tar Heels are tied for first place in the conference with a surging Florida State squad and Wake Forest is just a half-game behind.

The Tar Heels will be back in action next Wednesday against the unbeaten Demon Deacons in Chapel Hill at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center at 3 p.m.

@rytime98