Work through your fears of the future with Company Carolina's 'Pippin'

Pippin
Company Carolina is performing the musical "Pippin." Courtesy of Betsy Scarisbrick.

Company Carolina's production of "Pippin" provides a comforting parallel to students who are faced with the question of what to do with their lives after college. 

Despite indulging in moments of fantasy, Betsy Scarisbrick, director and former writer for The Daily Tar Heel, said she chose the musical because it's real to life.

"In the show, Pippin has just graduated from college, and he's in a place where he's asking where can I find my place and where can I find my fulfillment," Scarisbrick said. "The whole show is about his journey trying out different things.”

Scarisbrick said she believed that the character of Pippin would resonate strongly with students.

“The whole thing about Pippin is that he could be any single person in the audience," Scarisbrick said. "That’s what makes it so relatable. People can find pieces of themselves in aspects of their lives in Pippin. Not only would actors get something from it, but the audiences will, also.” 

Although there is a 2013 adaptation of "Pippin" that heavily featured circus-like elements including acrobatics and stunts, Scarisbrick felt as a student production that they could more closely emulate the original from the 1970s. 

“We tried to take more from the entertainment aspect of the play," Scarisbrick said. "We did a lot with choreography, trying to play up the aspects that were feasible for us.”

Despite the limitations, they found the play to their advantage as it was easily adaptable, allowing them to create a similar experience while still leaning heavily on the original choreography by Bob Fosse. 

“Because 'Pippin' is more of an abstract show, you can kind of take it in the direction that you wanted," Scarisbrick said. "It makes it a lot easier for student theater to adapt and make it more minimal and focus more on characterization and the artistic aspect of it, like colors and costumes.”

Choreographer Samantha Richmond highlighted the importance of the Fosse elements of the play. 

“He has a very distinct style to him," Richmond said. "I wanted to challenge my cast not to necessarily be technical dancers in this show, rather stylistic dancers. So throughout the process, I really worked to create stage pictures and different Fosse movements.”

Bradley Barefoot, who plays the role of Leading Player, said that some highlights of the musical are "Magic To Do," the opening number, and "Glory," which features Fosse's choreography.

“They’re iconic for people of all generations," Barefoot said. "I grew up learning this choreography.”

Campbell Kargo, who plays the role of Catherine, also expressed her enjoyment of the play and the process of developing such a complex character with the help of the director during the rehearsals. 

“The highlight for me was learning how to play a character with a split personality,” Kargo said.

Although Scarisbrick thinks the show is rooted in reality, she said it also transcends it.

“One of my favorite things about Pippin is that it takes into consideration all the different aspects of life, granted it's played up a lot through the fantasy," Scarisbrick said. "The magical aspects imply all these thoughts, fears, anxieties and desires are things that every single person has and makes those abstract thoughts become complete on stage.”

It will be performed at CURRENT ArtSpace + Studio from March 23-25.

@piteek0