UC San Diego academic senate rejects petition to cancel course on Woody Allen

OPED CMP-WOODYALLEN-EDITORIAL SD
Woody Allen speaks at the "Cafe Society" press conference as part of the 69th Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France, May 11, 2016. Woody Allen's adopted daughter has appeared on CBS Jan. 17, 2015 to talk about her sexual assault claim against the director. The 32-year-old has repeatedly accused Allen of molesting her when she was seven - claims the director has always denied (Aurore Marechal/Abaca Press/TNS).

A student-led petition at the University of California, San Diego asking the theater department to stop offering a course titled “The Films of Woody Allen” was rejected by the school’s academic senate in February. 

Allen’s daughter, Dylan Farrow, has written about how Allen sexually abused her as a child. Since Farrow spoke out about the abuse, multiple actors have cut ties with Allen. His films have been criticized for their portrayal of romantic relationships between older men and younger, sometimes underage, women. 

According to the petition, the class has been taught at UCSD since the 1990s by the same professor. In the most recent quarter, less than a third of the seats in the class were full. An article by Inside Higher Ed mentions the course discusses the directing, cinematography and recurring themes in Allen’s films but does not say whether the class discusses the allegations against him. 

Despite low enrollment and a continuing debate on the moral implications of teaching the course, UCSD’s academic senate denied the request on the premise of academic freedom and the First Amendment. 

“We conclude that cancelling or removing this or any other course for the reason that it contains the study of controversial material, or even material widely regarded as morally problematic, would undermine both the value of free inquiry and the associated rights of faculty to engage in such inquiry,” the academic senate said in a statement Feb. 16. 

As of March 4, the petition had almost 23,000 signatures. It was organized by Savanah Lyon, a theater major at UCSD. 

“They do not care about the statement that it makes to survivors everywhere,” Lyon said in the online petition.

In an op-ed, Lyon said she was met with unprofessionalism from professors in the theater department and provosts at UCSD. Since the academic senate’s decision, she has publicly expressed her frustration.

“Art is something that we as consumers of media get a choice in, and despite personal beliefs, there should be a moral obligation in these fields to feature artists that don’t have a history of abuse,” Lyon said in the op-ed.

Lyon said the issue is not whether people should be allowed to discuss Allen’s work in an academic setting but, rather that he should not have a place where he and his work are glorified. 

Professors at other universities have taught courses on Allen’s work in the past, including one at the University of Pennsylvania. Some academics both at UCSD and at other universities have supported the decision to continue the class. 

Steven Adler, who teaches the course at UCSD, has declined to speak publicly about the petition. 

UNC’s Film & Media Studies program does not currently offer any similar courses. 

“It’s important to not just not talk about it at all,” said Ella Doran, a UNC sophomore and global cinema minor. “I think it’s important to continue to discuss it, but I think it’s ignorant to only discuss the work.” 

@ronnieacorrea