Wish granted: WSSU's Rams Know H.O.W. Mobile Clinic offers new services and extended hours

wssu-van.jpeg

Winston-Salem State University's mobile clinic has expanded its services and changed its hours. Photo courtesy of Melicia Whitt-Glover.

The Winston-Salem State University mobile clinic offered new services and changed its hours in January following a grant from the Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust, according to a Feb. 20 UNC-system press release. 

The Rams Know H.O.W. Mobile Clinic, under the direction of WSSU’s Center of Excellence for the Elimination of Health Disparities, now offers school and work physicals, certain vaccinations, STD and STI screenings, pregnancy screenings and various types of counseling.

Services will now be offered four days a week at various locations in eastern Winston-Salem.

Melicia Whitt-Glover, executive director of CEEHD and a 1993 UNC graduate, said in the press release that, along with the $170,000 grant, the expansion was made possible through a partnership between WSSU, United Health Centers and Southside Discount Pharmacy.

Aaron Jackson, the mobile clinic coordinator, said in the press release that there has been a tremendous growth in requests for the services from the mobile clinic.

“We are delighted that we will be able to expand the services our faculty, staff and students provide to the communities in East Winston and help to strengthen our efforts in the fight against chronic illnesses and diseases that are impacting the communities surrounding WSSU,” he said.

The Rams Know H.O.W. mobile clinic has served 10,000 uninsured or underinsured residents since its launch in 2011 with funding from Novant Health, according to a Feb. 2 news release from WSSU.

CEEHD received nearly $600,000 in grant funding in 2017 – $375,000 of which was used to implement evidence-based interventions to prevent diabetes, the press release said.

Whitt-Glover said in an interview that diabetes and high blood pressure are the two biggest ailments they see in the areas they are servicing. They also see obesity and unhealthy lipid levels.

She said over the past eight years, they have seen about 8,500 people for screening, with high rates of chronic diseases. Most of the patients either don’t have insurance or don’t have a regular facility for medical care and, until recently, had no plan for treatment and no medical facility in the area.

She said expanding the services and hours in this way would be a good start to breaking the barrier to care, leading to vastly positive responses from the community.

The mobile clinic not only helps the community but also benefits the health science students helping perform the services as well.

“For them, it’s an amazing opportunity to get the chance to provide care in real life settings for communities in need,” Whitt-Glover said.

She said what’s important is that they are bringing the services needed directly to communities and seeing that they are able to provide care.

“For those of us who work in these fields, as much as possible, meeting people where they are is so important if we really are trying to make a difference in people’s lives."

@CBlakeWeaver