Wednesday October 20th

Sophomore closer Josh Hiatt suspended indefinitely from UNC baseball team

UNC's Josh Hiatt (31) pitches against Kentucky during the 2017 season.
Buy Photos UNC's Josh Hiatt (31) pitches against Kentucky during the 2017 season.

On Thursday afternoon, the North Carolina baseball team announced it had suspended redshirt sophomore closer Josh Hiatt indefinitely.

Team sports information director T.J. Scholl provided an official statement on the suspension:

"Our statement is that Josh Hiatt has been suspended indefinitely due to conduct detrimental to the team."

Hiatt is not the only Tar Heel pitcher to be suspended or leave the team this season. On March 14, junior Trevor Gay voluntarily left the team on the same day that sophomore Gianluca Dalatri was officially sidelined with an injury. 

The latest blow to UNC's pitching staff leaves the Tar Heels down three pitchers from their opening day roster. Hiatt's loss is especially troubling, due to his consistency at the back end of the bullpen. The righty has struck out 37 batters in 30.1 innings of work this season to go along with three saves and a 2-1 record. 

As a first-year, the Charlotte, N.C. native boasted a 4-2 record and 1.90 ERA to go along with 13 saves, earning him multiple accolades. In addition to being named a consensus freshman All-American, Hiatt also was rewarded with first-team All-American honors from both Baseball America and the NCBWA.

With Hiatt absent, the Tar Heels will likely turn to senior Brett Daniels to close out games. Daniels has the only other save on the year for UNC and has posted an impressive 6-0 record and 2.00 ERA.

@christrenkle2

Welcome Back Edition 2021