Seniors endure heat for Bell Tower tradition

IMG_3458.jpeg

Walking on campus, it’s nearly impossible to miss seeing or hearing the Bell Tower. Standing tall at 172 feet, its notable bells can be heard throughout campus and occasionally ring "Hark the Sound."

Every year, members of the senior class have the opportunity to climb the Bell Tower and inscribe their names on the inner bricks. On Wednesday, members of the Class of 2018 had the opportunity to participate in this annual event.

Blessed with a quintessential Carolina spring day, seniors waited in line with sunny blue skies and a comfortable high of 83 degrees. But it wasn’t a quick line — students waited for over two hours. The only other option to avoid this was to become a General Alumni Association member and buy a fast pass ticket. 

Many that chose to wait in the line felt it was worth it. Whether it was because of tradition or leaving their mark on the University, the wait was minuscule compared to the benefits of the climb.

Senior Murphy Grant (left)

“Ever since walking by since freshman year and seeing the long line, it just felt like something that was such an accomplishment to get to, like once you got to climb the Bell Tower you were there, you were done,” Grant said. “Freshman year it didn’t seem like I would ever get here, and now it seems like I got here way too fast, so it’s exciting, but also a little bittersweet.”

Senior Hatcher Shiflet (right)

“I mean I feel like it’s just tradition, I’m a big tradition guy and just coming here, just walking by the past couple of years and seeing people climb it when they were seniors – it just means something,” Shiflet said.

Senior Taylor Alfonso (right)

“The past few days it finally hit me that I’m graduating, and I want to do as much as possible, so this seemed like the quintessential senior activity. I came and it was supposed to be really pretty out today, so I wanted to be outside,” Alfonso said.

Senior Michelle Liang (left)

“This is probably the last time we’re going to be doing these types of activities at Carolina, and then also I think it’s really cool that we can write our names on a brick and kind of just leave our heel print at UNC,” Liang said.

Senior Maggie Lusk

“I’m just feeling very sentimental about graduating, so I wanted to do everything on campus,” Lusk said.

Lusk also participated in the fast pass line and said she did so because she wanted to make a donation to the GAA due to her time at UNC being the best experience ever.

Senior Kaushik Puranam (right)

“I think I climbed because I really want to sign my name on one of the bricks – I think it’s a pretty cool tradition that we have and who knows -- 20, 30 years from now, coming back and seeing my name up here would be pretty cool, along with my friends',” Puranam said.

@MarkBurnett1234