'Go With the Flow' event sheds light on need for period products

Over the past few weeks, the second annual 'Go With the Flow' Menstrual Product Drive & Benefit partnered with local businesses to raise awareness and funds to reduce the impact of high prices for menstrual hygiene products in Orange County. 

Allison De Marco, organizer of the event, classified the high prices and taxation of menstrual products as gender discrimination. Local businesses in Chapel Hill and Carrboro held menstrual product collections over the past two weeks for the event.

“We’ve been doing product collection all week at businesses across the community,” De Marco said. "We've been collecting cash donations but also product donations." 

Funds collected benefitted the Inter-Faith Council for Social Service, UNC Horizons Program, Freedom House Recovery Center and Carolina Cupboard: Community Food Pantry.

A major goal of the “Go with The Flow” benefit was to work toward changing the tax laws burdening the purchase of menstrual products. De Marco spoke about the importance of interacting with elected officials to bring attention to the issue.

“We’ve been doing work with (NC Representative) Graig Meyer and the Carrboro Board (of Aldermen) to try to eliminate the luxury tax in North Carolina,” De Marco said. “We’re asking folks to write to the General Assembly, to the chairs of the House and Senate finance committees, who are in charge of taxing and make a request to eliminate the luxury tax on these items.”

Many items in North Carolina which are deemed necessities, such as certain food items and agricultural products, are exempt from a state sales tax. According to a North Carolina State Statute, certain tobacco that is sold between manufacturers is exempt from a state sales tax. 

Period products do not qualify for exemption.

In addition to the prices of menstrual products, De Marco spoke about the lack of 24-hour bathroom access in the local community.

“We’re working with the Town of Chapel Hill and the Town of Carrboro to address the issue around 24-hour bathroom access in our community,” De Marco said. “That’s an issue for everyone, but especially those experiencing homelessness.” 

Local businesses can take initiative and provide these products in public restrooms, De Marco said.

“One of the things we’ve been working on as well is for businesses to make these products free and available to their customers," she said. "That’s something we can ask folks to encourage places they patronize to have these products available.”  

Emily Freeman is a UNC graduate student and attended the “Go with The Flow” benefit at the Orange County Social Club.

"The first thing would be to not treat tampons as a luxury item," Freeman said.

Freeman attributed the lack of affordability for menstrual products to negative effects on students.

"We should also be subsidizing menstrual products,” Freeman said. “I teach women and gender studies. That was a problem when I was teaching. We had students who couldn't afford products missing school once a month."

@MichaelJTaffe