UNC softball's four-game win streak snapped in 9-0 loss to James Madison

Campbell Hutcherson Wisconsin

Campbell Hutcherson (5) swings against Wisconsin on Feb. 17 in Anderson Stadium.

The North Carolina softball team lost to James Madison, 9-0, on Wednesday night, ending its four-game win streak.

The Dukes got out to a quick start, and they never slowed down. A two-out rally in the first inning gave James Madison a one-run lead after a double by Kate Gordon brought home the game’s first run.

The bats only got hotter in the second inning for the Dukes. With runners on first and second, Madison Naujokas blasted a home run to center field, giving JMU a 4-0 lead. James Madison would tack on one more run in the inning on a solo home run by Morgan Tolle.

UNC (23-20, 11-4 ACC) held the Dukes scoreless for the next two innings but failed to cut into the deficit. 

In the bottom of the fifth, James Madison delivered the finishing blow. With the bases loaded, Ashley Samuels hit a grand slam, ending the game in five innings and giving JMU a 9-0 victory.

The two key players for the Dukes were Ashley Samuels and Madison Naujokas. They both combined for seven RBI, three runs and two home runs. 

No one stood out for North Carolina on Wednesday night. Junior Kiani Ramsey delivered two hits in as many plate appearances, but no one else on her team recorded a hit.

James Madison scored the winning run in the first inning off Gordon’s two-out double. However, there was little doubt over who would win after the Dukes put up four runs in the second inning. 

The Tar Heels are looking to improve their resume as much as possible with only a few games left in the regular season. A nine-run loss is definitely not the result that UNC would have hoped for, especially since the team struggled early in the season.

North Carolina has a limited amount of time to turn its season around, and Wednesday’s loss certainly didn’t do it any favors.

The Tar Heels next take action on Friday at 6 p.m when they host N.C. State at Anderson Stadium.

@ballermike28