'The Wolves' brings together all-female cast, UNC women's soccer to inspire teamwork

The Wolves
Kenan Theatre Company's production of "The Wolves" runs April 12-16. Photo courtesy Aubrey Snowden.

Arts and athletics meet head-to-head in Kenan Theatre Company’s production of “The Wolves” from April 12-16.

“The Wolves,” written by Sarah DeLappe, recently closed at Lincoln Center Theater and features an all-female cast. The play follows nine young women, who play on a high school indoor soccer team, through the ups and downs of life.

Aubrey Snowden, director of “The Wolves,” described the everyday, colloquial nature of the play. 

“It’s a hyper-realistic play,” Snowden said. “The language is very much on top of each other. It’s very funny, fast and lots of swearing.”

The soccer players in the play aren’t given or referred to by names, but instead go by the number on their jerseys. While it can be confusing to read off the script, Snowden said it comes to life in person.

“It’s a fun way to unify the team, and it’s fun for the audience because the cast is in uniform and you can keep track of them by their numbers.” Snowden said. “You realize throughout the show, pretty quickly, that you don’t care about the numbers, you learn who they are."

Not only is “The Wolves” cast almost an all-female, but the show's female-dominant production also contributed to the overall dynamic of the show. Snowden said her favorite part of the production was creating a tribe of women and being able to incorporate team dynamics from athletics into the show.

“I think it’s a play that’s really good to see because we’re in a place where we’re giving voices to young women,” Snowden said. “Especially young women who are at a place in their lives where they’re being molded into who they are. You really get a sense of that on stage.”

McKenzie Wilson, a senior at UNC, plays Number 13 — a goofy 16-year-old who’s always cracking jokes to her friends and learns throughout the play that life isn’t always fun and games. Wilson sees a lot of her younger self in her character, which helped her embrace the role.

“I was always in trouble with my teachers,” Wilson said. “I remember one time me and my best friend did something, and I started laughing in the principal’s office because I just didn’t understand.”

Wilson said that Snowden’s great job casting and the play’s relatable characters made it easy for all of the cast to connect with their roles. 

“The script gives us enough room to make these characters our own and derive them from our own experiences,” Wilson said. “It’s a story that does need to be told because a lot of people are experiencing these challenges, and all of the girls in the cast related to that.”

Wilson said that every rehearsal was “pretty much female power,” which created a supportive and comfortable environment for the actresses. Kevin Pendergast, a senior at UNC, worked as the set designer for the production and was one of the few males that frequented the set.

“It’s been great — I think that’s an important aspect of the show, the fact that it is an all-female cast,” Pendergast said. “Having so many women on the production team as well has made it such a great experience.”

After the show, the UNC women’s soccer team will join the cast of “The Wolves” for a talk-back. The women will discuss team dynamics and the importance of teamwork in athletics and theater. 

“Being a team player is a universal thing,” Snowden said.