No. 1 UNC women's tennis continues ACC tear against Louisville

The Tar Heels beat the Cardinals, 6-1.

Women's tennis ITA

The No.1 North Carolina women’s tennis team faced off against Louisville on Sunday and defeated the Cardinals 6-1 in Bass-Rudd Tennis Complex.

UNC (20-2, 9-1 ACC) took the lead early when it clinched the doubles point with wins on Court One from No. 1 doubles pair Jessie Aney and Alexa Graham and Court Two from doubles pair Makenna Jones and Sara Daavettila.

The Tar Heels went into singles play up 1-0 over the Cardinals (13-8, 3-7 ACC). Court Six wrapped up first when Marika Akkerman won the second point for the Tar Heels by defeating her Louisville opponent in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0.

No. 30 Daavettila then won on Court Three, 6-4, 6-0, and Chloe Ouellet-Pizer defeated her opponent, 6-1, 7-5 to secure the win. No. 76 Graham then won on Court Two to remain undefeated in dual matches this season.

No. 14 Makenna Jones had a come-back win on Court One to put the Tar Heels up 6-0, and Jessie Aney lost in a tiebreaker on Court 5 to give Louisville its only point of the day.

The obvious stand out for this team is Graham. Graham is undefeated in duals matches, is a part of the No. 1 doubles pair in the nation and has moved her way up to Court Two as the season has progressed.

Jones is also a huge asset to the team. She recently took over the No. 1 spot on the team, replacing a struggling first-year Alle Sanford.

Jones is 4-0 in singles matches since taking over on Court One.

The match was decided early on. The Tar Heels grabbed the doubles point to head into singles play ahead of the Cardinals, and the Cardinals didn’t get on the board until the last match of the day was finished.

With this road win, the Tar Heels remain No. 1 in the nation and tied for the top spot in the ACC with Duke. UNC has won nine of its 10 ACC matches and is on a four-game win streak.

Head coach Brian Kalbas has switched around the team’s lineup this season, and it seems like the team is settling in. As the Tar Heels approach both the ACC and NCAA Tournaments, this is essential.

North Carolina returns home to the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center to take on No. 20 Virginia on Friday at 3 p.m.

@nicolebooth56