Running back Antonio Williams granted immediate eligibility after waiver request

Team runs out WCU

The North Carolina football team runs out of the tunnel against Western Carolina on Saturday in Kenan Stadium.

The North Carolina running back depth chart just got a little more crowded for the upcoming 2018 season.

In late April, Antonio Williams announced his intention to transfer from Ohio State to join UNC. At the time, it appeared the New London, N.C., native would need to sit out one year due to NCAA transfer rules, before completing his last two years of eligibility.

But earlier this week, the News and Observer reported the Tar Heels filed a waiver in hopes of Williams playing for the team this season.

On Friday, the NCAA granted the waiver, making the running back eligible for the upcoming campaign.

Williams redshirted his first season as a Buckeye, before appearing in 8 games during his sophomore year. The 5-foot-11, 210-pound running back racked up 290 yards on 57 carries in 2017, averaging 5.1 yards per rush and scoring three times. Against Indiana on Aug. 31, in Ohio State’s season opener, Williams found the end zone a season-high two times and picked up 44 yards on the ground. 

On Nov. 18 against Illinois, Williams turned in a season-high performance in carries (19) and yards (74) in his last live action as a Buckeye.

A graduate of North Stanly High School in New London, Williams ran for 7,999 yards in four seasons on the varsity squad. As a senior, he averaged a career-high 10.6 yards-a-carry, rushed for 2,150 yards in nine games and scored 23 times. Heading into his first-year at Ohio State, the four-star player was ranked the ninth-best running back recruit in the nation by ESPN and the No. 148 player overall.

The junior will join a crowded backfield led by sophomore Michael Carter and junior Jordon Brown. Last season, the two players split touches during the Tar Heels’ disappointing 3-9 campaign. 

Brown finished with 613 yards on the ground last season, compared to 559 from Carter. But Carter finished with nine touchdowns, compared to just four from Brown, and also averaged more yards per carry (5.8 to 4.4).

Junior wide receiver Anthony Ratliff-Williams stressed the team’s desire to strike a balance on offense at last week’s ACC Kickoff, meaning the team could have another running back-by-committee approach in 2018.

“We’re working to be really balanced,” Ratliff-Williams said. “We don’t want to do too much of one thing or the other because there could be one thing going and the other not be going one game. If that one thing is going one game, you want to push it to the max and make it work to the best of its ability.”

The team will look to find that balance early in the season with yet another skilled running back entering the fold.

@christrenkle2