Thursday June 17th

Chapel Hill Police investigating shooting on MLK Jr. Blvd.

A man was shot in an apartment unit at 1701 North Apartments on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd in Chapel Hill on July 11.
Buy Photos A man was shot in an apartment unit at 1701 North Apartments on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd in Chapel Hill on July 11.

On Wednesday, July 11, Chapel Hill resident Zackary Richard Upton was shot multiple times at 1751 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. He is recovering at UNC Hospitals and is listed in fair condition, according to Chapel Hill Police.

The 23-year-old was shot around 10:55 p.m. and was transported to UNC Hospitals with multiple gunshot wounds. 

Anyone with information about the shooting may call 911, the Chapel Hill Police Department at 919-968-2870 or Crime Stoppers at 919-942-7515. Any calls to Crime Stoppers are confidential and anonymous, and callers with information that leads to arrest may be eligible for up to a $2,000 cash reward.

The Chapel Hill Police Department is actively investigating the shooting and believes this is an isolated incident that is not indicative of an ongoing threat to the community. More information will be released when available.

The Daily Tar Heel for April 2, 2021