A-ca-awesome tips for fall a capella auditions

Clef Hangers
Clef Hangers are an all-male a cappella group. Photo courtesy of Patrick Dow.

With the fall semester comes the start of football season, Week of Welcome and another decades old tradition that has been celebrated by the Chapel Hill community since its beginnings: a capella. 

There are several a capella groups that fill UNC's campus with beautiful harmonies and their auditions to welcome new members are just around the corner. 

Auditioning for anything can be intimidating, and not knowing what to expect can be absolutely terrifying. So what can you do to stand out? Behold, the ultimate a capella auditioning guide.

1. Choose an audition song that highlights your voice and personality.

President of Cadence, Lauren Atherton, said it is important that singers highlight not only their voice, but also their personality in their performance. 

“Sing a song that you would sing in the shower or sing in the car,” Atherton said. “Whatever you’re comfortable with. We want them to show us a little bit of themselves, what they love and what they’re like.”

Molly Smith of Tar Heel Voices said the audition consists of performing a chorus and verse of a song — or one minute of a song — that the singer believes best showcases his or her sound. 

2. Stay calm, cool and collected when you arrive at the audition. It can be overwhelming. 

Most students feel stressed about their auditions, but managing nerves is crucial before starting to sing.

“Just breathe,” Emma James of the Loreleis said. “That is so important when your nerves are working up.” 

3. Be yourself. 

“Each group has its people that will fit into it,” James said. “While we are looking for a great voice and someone who can blend well in our group, it’s also a question of, 'Can we see them being our friend?' Just be genuinely yourself. There’s always a place for someone where they can thrive.” 

Many students who audition are first-years. As first-year, it can be difficult getting accustomed to the brand-new life at UNC. James said the a capella community provides an authentic space for students who love to sing, perform and socialize. 

4. Don’t apologize for imperfection. 

“Don’t put pressure on yourself to perform perfectly,” Kirstin Franklin, general director of Psalm 100 said. “If you mess up, it is not the end of the world. Know that it is okay to make a mistake and just get right back on track. Come in showing that you love to sing. That’s the most important thing.” 

5. Remember, they were in your position once, too. 

“In general, sharing your voice with a bunch of strangers is one of the most vulnerable things you can do,” Smith said. “I went in and I was super super nervous but all of the a capella groups make you feel so welcome.” 

No matter what year you are, where you come from, what your interests are, the a capella community at UNC encourages all passionate singers to join in singing Carolina’s praises. Hark the sound of Tar Heel voices and may the odds be ever in your favor.