Make FWOC a little less stressful with these festive campus events

union.JPG

UNC DACA Week is co-sponsored by the Carolina Union Activities Board.

Perhaps Charles Dickens thought the French Revolution was the best of times and the worst of times, but all UNC students know the first week of classes, or FWOC, is the real age of wisdom and foolishness. No other time in a Tar Heel’s life is as full of varying highs and lows. To make the most of this volatile period, here are some tips on what you can’t miss.

Tuesday:

Zumba Dance Party

5:15-6:15 P.M. SRC Studio B

Am I the only one who didn’t realize quite how big Carolina is until I got here? Take it from an old, out-of-breath sophomore: you need to figure out how to get to shape if you don’t want to show up to every single class sweaty and panting. 

Sports Clubs and Intramural Sports Interest Fair

5:30-7:30 P.M. Ram’s Plaza

So what if you weren't good enough to be a collegiate athlete? Intramural sports are the best way to keep playing the sports you love but without the pressure of teenage sports. Don't get me wrong though- intramural games get competitive, and the championship t-shirts are absolutely coveted by all.

Wednesday:

Academic Advising Drop-Ins

8:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M., Steele Building

8:00 A.M.-7:00 P.M., Hardin Hub

You've survived your first day of classes, now it's time to figure out if you should ever go back to them again. In all seriousness, asking an advisor to take a look at your schedule and make recommendations will help ensure that you're only in classes that are actually useful to you. Don't end up like me and take Astronomy 101, only to get a C and find out you already had the gen-ed credit it offered!

Thursday

Study Abroad Office Open House

2:00 P.M.-4:00 P.M., FedEx Global Education Center, Room 2009

You've only just gotten to UNC, time to decide when to leave and where to go. UNC has so many study abroad programs, it can be overwhelming at times. Your best bet is to get a solid base on how studying abroad works before you start looking at specific programs.

The UNC Student’s Struggle to Juggle

5:00 P.M.-6:00 P.M., Loudermilk Center for Excellence

This is the funniest event ever planned. Do I even have to try to sell you on it? You literally get to learn how to juggle! You'll never struggle to think of a fun fact in an icebreaker again.

Friday

UNC Climbing Programs Newbie Night

8:00 P.M.-11:00 P.M. Rams Head Recreation Center

I'm afraid of heights, so I didn't go to Newbie Night until second semester for a class project. What a mistake! Gather some friends and hit the rocks.

Saturday

Making Memories at the Makerspace

6:00 P.M.-8:00 P.M., Murray Makerspace

The Makerspaces are another thing I under-utilized my first year, and by under-utilized, I mean I never used them but wished I had. Go to the Makerspace events to learn about how to use the facilities to make buttons and stickers, 3D print, use virtual reality and more.

Sunday

Fly the Carolina Sky

3:00 P.M.-7:00 P.M., Carolina Outdoor Education Center

You've been here for a week now, time to put your new friendships to the test by tackling a high-ropes course together. Plus, in this humidity, it'll make the perfect workout to clear your head before classes really start.